Escallonia Info??

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ive seen some Beautiful trees made from Escallonias on the internet and I had the oppertunity to buy 2 extremely old nursery stock(definatly in the ground at some point) but sadly I can find no info on care and how they react to heavy root pruning. Would love some personaly experiance if anyone has any!!

These pots are 15 gallon pots
Diameter is around 18 inches I believe.IMG_3398.JPG
IMG_3397.JPGIMG_3400.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Escallonia Definition.....

Man's bad relations with woman escallates into him being left alone to eat bologna.

Escallonia.....

From the Latin....
Don't listen to this guy!

Lol!

If I hear Escallonia I think of this guy!

Nice bloody trunk!

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive seen some Beautiful trees made from Escallonias on the internet and I had the oppertunity to buy 2 extremely old nursery stock(definatly in the ground at some point) but sadly I can find no info on care and how they react to heavy root pruning. Would love some personaly experiance if anyone has any!!
See Bonsai Eejit.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've got them in my landscape. I can't tell you about root pruning but they respond well to regular pruning and will bud back well on old bark if you do it in the spring when they are first pushing new growth. If you prune later in the year you will get much weaker growth and significant die-back, especially in the weaker branches.

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've got them in my landscape. I can't tell you about root pruning but they respond well to regular pruning and will bud back well on old bark if you do it in the spring when they are first pushing new growth. If you prune later in the year you will get much weaker growth and significant die-back, especially in the weaker branches.

Thanks!! Looks like im already seeing buds.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They can handle root pruning just fine. I enjoyed the Bonsai Student's video. I liked that dude. He was local to my area, and just a beginner, but his videos were interesting. Sadly, he passed away a year or two ago but his wife left his channel up for us to enjoy.

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update to one tree. Repotted today heres the base.

Brach on the right is dead, will be a dead wood feature at sone point and I havent decided the dirrection I wish to go for this tree so i left both branches on the left till I can make that decision.
Excuse the twiggy branches they will be cut once the back buds push out

IMG_3425.JPG

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How is it with overwintering?

Top Bottom