Escallonia, "Red Elf"

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife was going through some boxes of old papers the other day, and came out and handed me a large three-ring binder notebook. I opened it, and found it to be a journal I decided I ought to keep (for some reason - certainly not my style) of all my bonsai. I made entries from '06 - '08, apparently, and one of the trees I devoted a page to was this guy. Here's what I wrote back then:

3/25/06 - Bought $10 (was $29.95, but woman sold it at discount due to it being "distressed." Beautiful nebari. Cluster of branches - responded well to some initial rough & fine pruning. Growth/foliage scraggily, not too healthy. SuperThrive and Kelp!

7/06 - Put in ground after radical hard pruning - will train in ground to establish better branching.

11/06 - leaves still green - multiple long leaders - will trim Feb.

2/08 - Vigorous

That's all I wrote. Nothing in between, but it has grown nicely sitting in a neglected fashion over a tile for six years. I maybe eyeballed it 1-2 times each year, just to see how it was thickening up, which it did nicely. Dug it up into this pot, trimmed the thick branches, and threw it in with the crowd until today: a bit more trimming and cleaning up, and here it sits. About a foot tall.

Three nice angels shown below. I kinda like that wild aborted nebari flying off to the left in the first photo, but it probably looks a bit too phallic to carve and bleach into a jin . . . an Ent pining for the lost Ent-wives, or something . . . . .

I might also note that I have no Middle-Earthly idea why it might be called a Red Elf - looks more like a dwarf to me.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Escallonia.jpg
    Escallonia.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Escallonia-2.jpg
    Escallonia-2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Escallonia-3.jpg
    Escallonia-3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 228

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just dug up a Yardmadori of this myself. We will see what happens.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the Horny Elf, you should jin it and carve a little mushroom head on it just for a conversation piece. :)

ed

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Back Budding

I gather from these photos that escallonia back bud pretty well. That is encouraging. I literally ripped the one I have from landscape planting in front of a building scheduled for demolition. I pruned the sheeeyyaatt out of it. Here's hoping for similar success.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the Horny Elf, you should jin it and carve a little mushroom head on it just for a conversation piece. :)

ed

and feature an aloe in a bonsai pot as your accent plant.
amidoinitright?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Wow! this is gonna be a powerful image in a couple years!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice trunk, going to be a good tree

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that's just fabulous .

Bitchin' in fact!

Sorce

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is such an underrated and underutilized species for bonsai. They make great trees, but you rarely see them.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks all. It seems quite robust, but I'm going to just take it slow, I think, and let it grow out for another year of two. Perhaps some experimental baby-bending to see how it responds to that, but otherwise, just let it grow.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wasn't aware they particularly cared for being disturbed once established.
Thanks for the intel

RileyJFDB13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That's unfortunate! I was only curious because I have stumbled upon some very very old nursery stock for a very reasonable price but there is little to no information on the species for Bonsai so it makes me tentative to purchase

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's been my experience that escallonia as a rule are very well suited to bonsai culture. I have Red Dream in the landscape where they have outgrown the suggested height of 3-4' and are now approximately 6' tall. They have amazing twisting bases with lots of flare and great bark. I plan to dig them this year or next.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's unfortunate! I was only curious because I have stumbled upon some very very old nursery stock for a very reasonable price but there is little to no information on the species for Bonsai so it makes me tentative to purchase
They can make outstanding bonsai but they aren't that popular anymore so people don't know much about them. They were very popular many years ago in landscaping but have been replaced by something else (who knows what it is). I have been looking for one with a decent trunk for about three years now. I have talked with a few Mom and Pop Nursery owners and always get the same reply. They have heard of it but it's not a common plant they see anymore. My search continues...

Top Bottom