Escallonia

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I've been working on this escallonia rubra var. Woodside for some time now, trying to get the form I want to fit this pot. I'm still looking for some more side growth to extend it beyond the edges of the pot.
Another part of the work is to try to get a good image suitable for printing. Getting close.
Height from the soil line at the trunk base is about 10 inches. (25.4 cm.)

Mike

Attachments

• esc-1-rrs.jpg
    esc-1-rrs.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 119

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I love it, wow what trunk.

Thanks Rick.
This escallonia came from 5 gallon nursery stock. I started reducing it about 10 or 12 years ago. It was a great pleasure to uncover the trunk. Truthfully, when I started, I never imagined I would get it down so small. Part of the great pleasure of bonsai.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like this tree and I agree that it needs to widen a bit for the pot. I like the pot too.

eric

Kitsune

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mike,

I've seen this tree before, and every time I see it, I have to pause. I just really enjoy this little guy and the image he portrays. Kudos.

-Heather

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree, excellent work.

If you would move it out of the center of the pot, to the side just a bit, the image would be presented much better.

Will

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Beautiful tree, excellent work.

If you would move it out of the center of the pot, to the side just a bit, the image would be presented much better.

Will

Will. thanks for your comments.
This tree has always been in pot center in previous presentions in different pots.My feeling is that the structure of the trunk and branches makes it appropriate. I understand that we all see these things differently, which is good.
As with many bonsai I style, the coast oak is an inspiration. Once I get the branch spread where i want it, as the virtual shows, the crown will probably raise up a bit for the oaky look.

Mike

Attachments

• z.esc.jpg
    z.esc.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 42

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks Mike, definately another beauty. Love the trunks color and muscles.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering if you've ever had problems with escallonia dropping leaves or branches out of the blue when you were working on reducing it?
I have one I put in a training pot this year and for what ever reason a branch died, even though the rest of the plant is back budding and seems to be thriving. They seem pretty picky.
Mary B.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I can't help feeling the pot should be a little bit smaller:

Maybe a bit deeper too but that is beyond my virtual skills here at work:D

Attachments

• z_esc2.JPG
    z_esc2.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 21

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the pot needs to be smaller also. I do like the tree centered and I think the canopy will be nice when it is as wide as the virtual but it also will need to be a little taller and rounder. The virt makes it look squashed like a peernief style which does not resemble an oak style but is more appropriate for Africa.

Nice tree though, very powerful trunk.

Top Bottom