Escambron Shohin Progression

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, last weekend I blew out my knee (again). I’ve been relegated to the couch all week; can’t walk or drive until after my surgery next Monday.

Anyway, in my couch-ridden state I decided to purchase a new shohin to cheer myself up. I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled (what else do I have to do?) and eventually landed on this small Escambron from Wigerts:
869990B8-6A08-45EE-8B5B-0AF44BADA1C7.png

I also purchased this Bunzan container for it. I think the rough bark of the escambron will be complemented nicely by the crackle glaze. And I’ve been wanting a yellow container in my tropical collection :)
7C811D1C-2809-49C4-88AC-4799D3367D34.jpeg

Should arrive next week, post op day 2. Something to look forward to. I will continue to post updates as the tree arrives and as I do some work on it!

Feel free to comment with any thoughts or critiques, I am not going anywhere anytime soon 😂

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Best of luck with the surgery. I love Wigert's.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Update: surgery was a success and the tree is supposed to arrive today!

Been doing a bit more research on the species. Here’s a photo of what the flowers are supposed to look like. Can’t wait to see some of these in the yellow container some day!
2CBDED52-5306-4B4B-945B-12C864321732.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, last weekend I blew out my knee (again). I’ve been relegated to the couch all week; can’t walk or drive until after my surgery next Monday.

Anyway, in my couch-ridden state I decided to purchase a new shohin to cheer myself up. I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled (what else do I have to do?) and eventually landed on this small Escambron from Wigerts:
View attachment 410088

I also purchased this Bunzan container for it. I think the rough bark of the escambron will be complemented nicely by the crackle glaze. And I’ve been wanting a yellow container in my tropical collection :)
View attachment 410091

Should arrive next week, post op day 2. Something to look forward to. I will continue to post updates as the tree arrives and as I do some work on it!

Feel free to comment with any thoughts or critiques, I am not going anywhere anytime soon 😂
Dam. Heal up bro.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Escambron!
76520960-E394-4D5F-86C3-8707DCC49679.jpeg
Bunzan Container detail
8953339E-A0D5-4DCE-881C-FB8C401AF052.jpeg

Lots of work to do in the canopy/branching. But a good base to build on. I like the crackle glaze with the bark, which I think will continue to age and fissure with growth and time. Fingers crossed for flowers!

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Escambron!
View attachment 410987
Bunzan Container detail
View attachment 410988

Lots of work to do in the canopy/branching. But a good base to build on. I like the crackle glaze with the bark, which I think will continue to age and fissure with growth and time. Fingers crossed for flowers!
Fellow escambron owner, how's it doing? I know for a fact it pushed more growth than you can deal with within 2 months lol

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fellow escambron owner, how's it doing? I know for a fact it pushed more growth than you can deal with within 2 months lol

Well, it has been acclimating to the sunroom window. It has also been recovering from the repot from nursery container to bonsai pot. Nonetheless, it is pushing a bit of new growth! Seems to be getting some momentum now, so I performed some branch selection the other day!

Fingers crossed for flowers this summer :)

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, it has been acclimating to the sunroom window. It has also been recovering from the repot from nursery container to bonsai pot. Nonetheless, it is pushing a bit of new growth! Seems to be getting some momentum now, so I performed some branch selection the other day!

Fingers crossed for flowers this summer :)
Just make sure you give it LOTS of light. Those nodes can get pretty long if you don't give it enough light. Haven't had any luck yet with flowers, so hope mine blooms too

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just make sure you give it LOTS of light. Those nodes can get pretty long if you don't give it enough light. Haven't had any luck yet with flowers, so hope mine blooms too

Thanks for the tip! Do you keep it in full sun outside? I keep my ficus in full, full sun but some other tropicals seem to require some shade. What about excambron?

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the tip! Do you keep it in full sun outside? I keep my ficus in full, full sun but some other tropicals seem to require some shade. What about excambron?
Full sun 100%!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I absolutely love this tree..

and this specie.. but THIS tree.. will be something special.

Also.. It made me, somewhat foolishly. start singing....

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Escambron has become my favorite tropical for bonsai. The bark is awesome and the plant is easy as long as it gets lots of light and doesn't dry out.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Full sun 100%!

Full sun in Georgia is not the same as full sun in front range Colorado. I don't know this tree, but the drier, higher air makes Denver sunshine more intense than the east coast.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Full sun in Georgia is not the same as full sun in front range Colorado. I don't know this tree, but the drier, higher air makes Denver sunshine more intense than the east coast.
Stick with morning sun and afternoon shade then

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I moved my tropicals outside this week, so perfect timing for another prune.
D3B70DE5-A74C-47FD-AB67-AED86691766F.jpeg
04F003FF-4A82-4DC5-92DE-1C47D9D30011.jpeg

I applied a heavy dose of Biogold before placing it back out on the bench. It has been responding favorably so far to full sun, but I will keep an eye on it as the temperatures escalate into the 90s.

Top Bottom