Escape the S shape !

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello everyone ,

Looking for how to hide the S shape of my little ficus , i finally decided to use an exotic wooden root for aquarium which has not been used for a few years.

I looked for the best way to bring together the two elements with a wire .

20200117_151707.jpg

Then fixing the root to the pot so that the whole remains perfectly stationary .
I used a drill to allow the wire to pass through the root in various places .

20200117_152405.jpg

Now , light , fertilizer and patience ...

20200117_154109.jpg

20200117_154149.jpg

MavyBoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a pretty stellar idea you got going! I have a few rescued mallsai with this disgusting S shape as well.
I had sort of similar idea for using rocks to make it appear as if it is bending in and out of the cracks between a nice rock or two, but I only recently mastered watering, so perhaps it isn't the best time for me to experiment. lol.

Lovely tree, I really like the composition you came up with, and that pot 👌

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment :)

Me too , at the begining i tried to wedge stones to hide a bit the boring curves of the trunk but it did not work , while the root is easy to fix and fits better ( same tropical origin ) .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice! I have an S shaped Chinese elm I'll be air layering down this spring. I have a ficus with a pronounces S and thin trunk I'll likely hack down to a bunjin style, but I'll let it thicken a bit before I go that route.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done indeed. Keep us posted I want to see this one through. :)

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Two other approaches I've seen work - turn on its side to make a semi-cascade, and weave several S-shaped trees together.

Top Bottom