Essential Bonsai Tools

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So... For wire cutting, there are several options: the "traditional" bonsai blunt nose wire cutters and by pass cutters which look like stubby short bladed shears.
What do you need wire cutters for? Does Boon know you have these? You know you're supposed to unwrap wire, and not cut it, right?:p

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do you need wire cutters for? Does Boon know you have these? You know you're supposed to unwrap wire, and not cut it, right?:p
Lol!!!

Yeah, he knows! In fact, it was Boon's Senior, Daisaku Nomoto, that inspired me to get a pair. Daisaku is a wizard with wiring!

I tend to buy copper wire in spools. I have found the spools to be a little heavy hanging on the tree if I don't cut shorter pieces off the spool. And then, while I try as best I can not to cut too long a piece off the spool (and be called a "Bimbo" by Boon), sometimes after I've made my little fishhook at the end, there's some excess wire that needs trimming off. These work perfectly for this. These are used when applying wire, not for removing it.

Kathy Shaner used these, too, I believe.

Again, I got along just fine for years without them. But when I saw Daisaku wiring, and how it made it easier, I bought a pair.

Top Bottom