[EU/Germany] affordable Carpinus orientalis

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking to buy oriental hornbeam Carpinus orientalis online but dont know where.
And does someone know how old this species gets? Didnt find anything about that.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
http://meledabonsai.com/index.php/portfolio-category/carpinus/ website appears to be down though

if you dont mind reading, there is lots of info on Walter palls blog about them. also on Marija hajic and Andria zokic's facebook page and IG accounts.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
675 bucks is not affordable to me, thats the cheapest one Kaizen has. I cant spend more than 200 including shipping. Just want the species, not marvelous yamadori.

Edit: That wasnt even an an orientalis, the cheapest orientalis is 1,445£

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh.. wow.. Guess I got lucky with mine.

I found a largish one at Deshima bonsai last winter. Pricepoint within your range.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
there's one in this bag of starter material, listed at £85 for the whole lot. too expensive? i think if you snooze it will be gone in a few days.

p1150436.jpg

i think its a bargain, all these can go in a grow bed for a few years

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
there's one in this bag of starter material, listed at £85 for the whole lot. too expensive? i think if you snooze it will be gone in a few days.

p1150436.jpg

i think its a bargain, all these can go in a grow bed for a few years
And he can sell on any of the ones he doesn’t really want after a bit of further development to make them more appealing.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Indeed and I checked the shipping to Germany, came up as £13.95 even for so many trees. Definitely a good investment even if everything but the Hornbeam is sold on later. Trade a little patience in return for what could end up as a cheap hornbeam 😂.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I bought it. I will say thats a pretty ugly tree but Ill fix or derive something from it eventually, if its not diseased. At least now I have the species. May throw away the 6 other plants or make a post on here saying its free if you pick them up. Since I had to pay shipping anyway, also bought a small saw and my first stainless steel curved branch cutters (large)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ah thats the spirit, at least you have the species in your collection now. goal achieved

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I bought it. I will say thats a pretty ugly tree but Ill fix or derive something from it eventually, if its not diseased. At least now I have the species. May throw away the 6 other plants or make a post on here saying its free if you pick them up. Since I had to pay shipping anyway, also bought a small saw and my first stainless steel curved branch cutters (large)
Don’t throw them away, list them on eBay as pickup only. Even if you threw them on there and they end up going for up to 10€ each it’s something back on the money you spent. If you can be bothered to ship them then add a shipping charge. 🙂

Last edited:

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh and congrats on your desired species. Enjoy the journey of it’s transformation.👍👍👍

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Several hours later and their website still says the items are in stock, when theyre clearly not. Makes me wonder if someone bought them even before me. Guess Ill find out in a few days.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter Pall says orientalis has smaller leaves than Korean hornbeam but so far its been the other way around for me. The orientalis leaves are also more elongated, whereas I prefer more round ones

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Several hours later and their website still says the items are in stock, when theyre clearly not. Makes me wonder if someone bought them even before me. Guess Ill find out in a few days.
Did it turn up in the end?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did it turn up in the end?
Yeah I got it fine, I think it might have suffered a bit last year from low ph but I threw some alkaline stone dust at it and now it seems fine. This years shoots are 15cm by now

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some thoughts on this plant. I grow it in pretty much full sun. It tolerates it, but sometimes it looks a bit sad. Ive read it prefers part shade or even shade. I think part of its adaptation to be competitive and survive in its natural habitat is that full sun really destroys its apical dominance. Ive got as many branches growing down as up. Wants to become a shrub.
But when light would be lower it would probably aspire to be a tree. Thats how I interpret what Ive read and seen.

Carpinus orientalis grows in a huge area - some varieties are much more suited to bonsai than others Im sure.
Good: maybe 'perdika' and good orientalis seedlings
Bad: subspecies 'macrocarpa' and, I feel, whatever I have

This is my Korean hornbeam for comparison. I like its habit and leaves and it doesnt let its leaves hang on hot days as far as I remember
korean.jpg
A direct comparison of shoots. Left - orientalis vs Right - coreana. On uninhibited growth, orientalis leaves (at least of this individual) are more elongated.
leftorientalvsrightkorean.jpg
Below: The orientalis today. Some downwards growing branches have been removed a while ago.
oriental.jpg
Just to be fair to it, a picture of the smallest leaves on it. I dont know whats achievable with bonsai techniques in this regard. I am not excited to try over many years.
orientalsmall.jpg

Maybe I'll give this to an aquaintance to bury in his backyard and try to find better seedlings in the future.

Top Bottom