Eucalyptus, have you used one?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was wondering, I really would like to use one of these... even if the tree ends up being 60-70cm tall.
My place of birth was Australia so I wanted to have a native australian tree.

I was looking at Nicholii variety. Any ideas? I have seen a few of these that I like online.

DSC_1468.jpg

Any experiences? Searching here doesn't show much.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is an Australian bonsai forum, I would think they might be able to help.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever it is it has great basic structure and trunk to start with. It matters not that it becomes a bigger tree as most bonsai will do this eventually. Well started and ready for refinement it is already.

Jase

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a few Nicholii, I really like them a species for bonsai but am still learning about them as I go. They grow quickly and have a relatively small leaf which suits bonsai.

You have to be vigilant with controlling the top growth, they are very apically dominant and vigorous growers, if you ignore them for too long you will have strong extended growth at the top and the lower and inner branches will weaken and die. They require constant pinching back to keep a compact profile. Every few years you will probably need to cut back hard to basically bare wood to bring the canopy back in, like most eucalyptus they shoot back on old wood well if pruned hard. I believe the tree in the picture you posted above has since had all the branches cut back to stubs to re-grow a more compact canopy.

They seem to respond well to root pruning. I'm enjoying working with them!

Reaction score
Be prepared for white flies and all sorts of uninvited guests. My apartment is surrounded by eucalyptus. They literally grow like weeds here and were somewhat of an ecological risk at one point. Every Spring, we get mass infestations around them.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What zone are you in? I would love to try one but probably to wet here.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot. By the leaves I think this is one of the Pauciflora variety. Can't wait the spring to "mess" with them and see if I'll
hit the jackpot with the nebari under this moss on top.
( Hope Barrosinc won't mind that I throw those in here, didn't want to open a new thread "My first bonsai of the year 2017"

007.jpg

and the one from background

014.jpg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'll give it a shot. By the leaves I think this is one of the Pauciflora variety. Can't wait the spring to "mess" with them and see if I'll
( Hope Barrosinc won't mind that I throw those in here, didn't want to open a new thread "My first bonsai of the year 2017"

View attachment 127984

View attachment 127985
No problem!
I haven't seen many online

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

View attachment 127984

View attachment 127985

If that is a Pauciflora then with age they can produce some amazing bark.
I have a bunch of Eucs from last seasons seeds(and thousands of seeds left :rolleyes:) so not really had one as a bonsai but that is the plan.
From what I can gather is work is best done late spring or in summer, you might find under the surface a lignotuber. Eucs tend to do that in pots and it will either be a blessing or a hindrance. They look good for a chop.

Did you ever get one @barrosinc ?

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My seeds didn't germinate
If that is a Pauciflora then with age they can produce some amazing bark.
I have a bunch of Eucs from last seasons seeds(and thousands of seeds left :rolleyes:) so not really had one as a bonsai but that is the plan.
From what I can gather is work is best done late spring or in summer, you might find under the surface a lignotuber. Eucs tend to do that in pots and it will either be a blessing or a hindrance.

Did you ever get one @barrosinc ?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My seeds didn't germinate

Ahh that is a shame, was it collected seed?
I have never had luck with collected stuff so I got my mum to bring over a heap of fresh seed from an Aussie seed place when she came to visit us. Never knew you had that Aussie connection, I grew up in Adelaide.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had two... E. gunnii can be sometimes found in flower shops here, the growth was strong, but no thickening. Then I brought some collected E. paucifolia or globulus from Italy, better one for bonsai. I had them some two years, they didn't survive bare rooting and transition to bonsai soil.
After pruning I used to put the leaves in some cheap after shave...it turned it into luxurious...

edit-I still have one bottle of it...
IMAG1103.jpg

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ahh that is a shame, was it collected seed?
I have never had luck with collected stuff so I got my mum to bring over a heap of fresh seed from an Aussie seed place when she came to visit us. Never knew you had that Aussie connection, I grew up in Adelaide.
nope eucaliptus nicholii bought online

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wrong season? Too much cut off? Should I start a man cosmetics store ?
If only I knew. It happened in spring. The wintering and watering could have been the issue too, hard to say. If I find one I'll play again. Plant addict...
And scenting? It's personal, I really liked it.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are scarce but there are a few large landscape E. pulverulenta around here. I always admire their bark and foliage. For several years now I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice nursery stock one but have yet to see one.

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
Then I brought some collected E. paucifolia or globulus from Italy, better one for bonsai. I had them some two years, they didn't survive bare rooting and transition to bonsai soil.

You can't bare root a Eucalyptus as far as I am aware,I have never had an issue with repotting Eucalyptus ,
you just need to keep soil moist afterwards and never bareroot.

this is a small Euc decipiens I have been working on,
2017-01-05 09.55.59.jpg

cheers

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can't bare root a Eucalyptus as far as I am aware,I have never had an issue with repotting Eucalyptus ,
you just need to keep soil moist afterwards and never bareroot.

this is a small Euc decipiens I have been working on,
View attachment 128027

cheers

Thanks Craig, I thought that, because it went so quickly.

Top Bottom