Eucalyptus, rainbow.

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Ok, most eucalyptus trees are not deciduous trees but they are a broadleaf species. I live in SoCal and I have one which is only about 25” tall, with a 1/2” dia straight trunk.
Can I repot in now, December?

Also, what about the time of year one should report a Ginko?

Thanks,
Chris

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Rainbow Euc is not actually an Australian native but our other Eucs seem to prefer root pruning when they are growing in late spring or summer. I think December would not be the best time for you, even in Southern Cal.
I repot ginkgo in spring along with most of my other conifers. Doesn't seem to matter if it is late winter through to late spring. I have not tried after bud burst but I think they would be tough enough to manage. Roots are usually quite thick with few feeder roots and I have sometimes root pruned quite hard without problems.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm in zone 9a. In my past attempt with RB Eucalyptus I repotted in January. The recovery was terrible. The tree struggled to find energy to stay alive, much less growing new roots. It eventually recovered but its growth was half of others that I didn't repot until April.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You got good advice from @Shibui , repot the Rainbow Eucalyptus, E. deglupta, late spring or early summer. The rainbow eucalyptus is native to the Philippine Islands, not sure just which, but it is from an area with ample rainfall year round. (not necessarily a rain forest tree, but year round water is available) You want the tree in active growth before repotting.

Ginkgo - again you got good advice. I try to repot mine in early spring. I have also done middle-late summer in an emergency situation (less than idea) Both time frames seem to work fine, no particular problems. I think spring repotting is best, but late summer works if you can not do spring.

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Awesome. Thanks all. So maybe mid April early May for both? I’ll,set the date in my clalender. What about my redwood. Around the same time?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You have no location on your profile so we don't know if you live N or S hemisphere, tropical or polar. Calendar months are meaningless to plants. They only react to the seasons. Always adjust advice according to your own relative seasonal conditions.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
With the ginkgo, I would repot just before new leaves bud out, which in So. Calif. could be as early as February. Once leaves start expanding, it is too late. Then wait until after summer cools down at night, October or even later. Let the tree tell you when is best time in spring, if you use only the calendar, you are guaranteed to miss the ideal time to repot. Environmental cues tell you when is best in late summer or early autumn.

Rainbow Eucalyptus should be in active growth, might be May, might be earlier or later. If your local summer is very hot and arid, low humidity, repot earlier to allow more time to recover before the blazing heat of summer.

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Happy Holidays.
Perfect. Right around the corner for the Ginko.
Thanks for all the good info.
My Rainbow Euc already has new leavs forming at the apex. The rest are browning.

Top Bottom