Eugenia Uniflora (Surinam Cherry/Pitanga)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anybody have experience with Surinam Cherry? I have a leggy one I am looking to defoliate and potentially cut back severely - not a trunk shop but shorten most branches. Is that a good idea at this time of the year (mid July)? I have no experience with tropicals. Thank you in advance.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC01283.JPG

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01399.JPG

DSC01400.JPG

Actually had one in the garden for several years. Lost some photo's thru the years, these were all I could find. But it's a fair representation of their growth habits, horizontal leaf growth alternating 90 degrees to the next node, vertical. Exfoliating trunk on mature examples similar to the Plane trees that line the country roads in France. Fairly vigorous in our northern climates during the summer, the real trick is keeping it in good health while having to over-winter in less-than ideal conditions for 7 months.

I don't necessarily see any problems with an aggressive cut-back of leggy branches now. I usually will acclimate tropicals to full sun exposure, maybe a week or so. Then when placed in full sun, that's when I'll perform anything drastic. I aim to have the tree free to grow foliage , thru the hot months, instead of expending a lot of energy trying to replace foliage instead of building vigor for next year.

Pretty sure any big cuts will still be there when the shaman is putting coins over your eyes.... ;) :D:D:D:D:D

Good luck, and put up some photo's of the subject tree, son!!!:cool:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
ask @Clicio as he is a brazilian national, just like this plant (If I am not mistaken)
In fact @leatherback has seen some big ones here in Brazil last year.
Yes, they are native here, called Pitangas, and yes they can be pruned in the summer, no worries (I mean, if you still have a decent growing season of three months ahead).
beautiful trees as bonsai, almost as nice as jaboticabas.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In fact @leatherback has seen some big ones here in Brazil last year.
Yes, they are native here, called Pitangas, and yes they can be pruned in the summer, no worries (I mean, if you still have a decent growing season of three months ahead).
beautiful trees as bonsai, almost as nice as jaboticabas.
Thank you, can I also defoliate at the same time?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
a means to produce ramification with the second flush if I were to perform it.
My experience with tropicals in a tropical country (NOT in Canada!) is they don't have first and second flushes, but a continuous constant flushing. Here, even in winter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My experience with tropicals in a tropical country (NOT in Canada!) is they don't have first and second flushes, but a continuous constant flushing. Here, even in winter.
mine is also continuously growing. It is outside now but goes indoors from late october to may.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know how close it is to Eugenia (Syzygium) paniculatum 'Compacta', but I have one that I defoliated a few years back and it took a whole year to look normal. I've been punished by boxwood, for the same. It's their way of saying, "Please don't overdue it. You moron."

Top Bottom