Eugenia Yardadori

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thomas22, Aug 11, 2017.

1. thomas22

thomas22 Shohin

So I was going for a Friday night beer run this evening and noticed my neighbor whom I don't really know digging up some trees in his front yard. One of them he didn't dig up yet caught my eye so I asked him I could dig it up for him if he would let me keep it. He was thrilled and agreed. I asked him if he knew what kind of tree and he told me it was a Eugenia he planted 30 years ago.
    Check it out. I really hope it pulls through. It has an 8" base and I like the possibilities. Anyone have any experience with these? The leaves are small enough so I figure it was worth the effort. 20170811_174906.jpg 20170811_181702.jpg

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. defra

defra Omono

Nice !
    Saves you 30 years of growing ;)

Quick google says this:
    Eugenia uniflora is commonly known as the Surinam Cherry, Brazillam cherry, Cayenne cherry, Pitanga or Cerisier Carre. It is from the Myrtaceae family

I guess the species are suitable!

thomas22 likes this.
  4. thomas22

thomas22 Shohin

If it lives there is going to be some large wounds to deal with but at least they are not in the front of the tree. After some research I believe this species will be good for bonsai. Its a waiting game for a while now. Anyone here have one?

5. petegreg

petegreg Masterpiece

I've got one E. myrtifolia started as a house plant, nothing special. It closes wounds quite well, but can't say if soooo big. It flowers every fall/winter, but the flowers have never turned into fruit, maybe because it's indoors.

thomas22 likes this.
  6. Haoleboy

Haoleboy Mame

Can we please fast forward 10 years??? What a score!

7. defra

defra Omono

only the tree's not me please

thumblessprimate1 and Haoleboy like this.
  8. thomas22

thomas22 Shohin

10 years is about right. I'm looking forward to developing this tree. Looks good so far.