Eugenia Yardadori

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I was going for a Friday night beer run this evening and noticed my neighbor whom I don't really know digging up some trees in his front yard. One of them he didn't dig up yet caught my eye so I asked him I could dig it up for him if he would let me keep it. He was thrilled and agreed. I asked him if he knew what kind of tree and he told me it was a Eugenia he planted 30 years ago.
Check it out. I really hope it pulls through. It has an 8" base and I like the possibilities. Anyone have any experience with these? The leaves are small enough so I figure it was worth the effort.20170811_174906.jpg 20170811_181702.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice !
Saves you 30 years of growing ;)

Quick google says this:
Eugenia uniflora is commonly known as the Surinam Cherry, Brazillam cherry, Cayenne cherry, Pitanga or Cerisier Carre. It is from the Myrtaceae family

I guess the species are suitable!

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it lives there is going to be some large wounds to deal with but at least they are not in the front of the tree. After some research I believe this species will be good for bonsai. Its a waiting game for a while now. Anyone here have one?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got one E. myrtifolia started as a house plant, nothing special. It closes wounds quite well, but can't say if soooo big. It flowers every fall/winter, but the flowers have never turned into fruit, maybe because it's indoors.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree grew well in the last 8 months so I decided to repot into a better container. The roots also grew so I decided to complete the big cuts and also cut a couple of inches off the base. Here is the tree before and after.
20180429_162619.jpg20180429_172651.jpg

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
This is most likely a Brush cherry (Syzygium paniculatum 'Newport'). Very common yard trees in Southern California. Very good material for bonsai. Not commonly seen at shows though. Yours is really nice! Most of the time the stump is just straight up. Good luck with that!

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh wow, those big cuts were a great idea. If they heal over decently you'll have a good taper. I hope it does really well for you. An encouraging and interesting post.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh wow, those big cuts were a great idea. If they heal over decently you'll have a good taper. I hope it does really well for you. An encouraging and interesting post.
The cut on the left is huge and may never fully heal but atleast you cant see it from the front. I didn't see a decent tree using that large trunk on the left.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I have one, they are very common here in Brazil, and are good subjects for tropical bonsai. I've seen some Eugenia bonsai with fruit around.
I don't remember seeing fruit but they do have nice little flowers.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cut on the left is huge and may never fully heal but atleast you cant see it from the front. I didn't see a decent tree using that large trunk on the left.

I woudln't worry about it if it doesn't c;lose over. You could always carve into and slightly hollow it for deadwood effect and make it look as natural as possible, by intention. Graham Potter and others have some outstanding videos on doing such work that is very inspiring. Then the cambium can grow and swell over the edges in time without worrying about closing it up. Others here far more experienced than I am can advise better than I on that but that's what I'd be inclined to try.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I woudln't worry about it if it doesn't c;lose over. You could always carve into and slightly hollow it for deadwood effect and make it look as natural as possible, by intention. Graham Potter and others have some outstanding videos on doing such work that is very inspiring. Then the cambium can grow and swell over the edges in time without worrying about closing it up. Others here far more experienced than I am can advise better than I on that but that's what I'd be inclined to try.
Thanks for making me feel better about the large cut. I think I will carve slightly like you said to let cambium roll over and start to heel. I will worry about the other possibities in a few years.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Killer trunk! Would love to see it grown on for another 4 years.

Top Bottom