Euonymus alatus, burning bush, spindle tree

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@jeanluc83 , how'd it grow this season
How is the tree going?

It has been a while since I’ve posted an update. I’ve taken a bit of a break / slow from bonsai. I’m not out of the hobby I’m just taking a step back for a bit. Meanwhile there is still some progress being made on my trees.

This tree has done really well. After repotting it last year it slowed down a bit but recovered without any issues. I got really good color in the fall.

This spring just as the buds were swelling I trimmed all the branches back to two buds each. In the past I have used the fall to trim back branches and have not been as careful about the number of buds I left per branch. I think the spring cut back will give me better results.

I had a bit of a battle with black aphids again this spring. It seems that it has become a semi-annual tradition. I was able to keep up with removing them manually until the systemic took effect. No real damage was done.

I’m really happy with the direction the ramification is going and the age it is starting to acquire in the pot. I have a feeling this tree is really going to start to shine in the next few years.

IMG_20200521_132911509_HDR.jpg

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
its been 2 years what’s the update looking like? i saw an euonymus alatus today that i plan on harvesting late winter so i was doing some research, stumbled on this thread and got sucked in by the progress of your tree. gorgeous tree it really came a long way

Top Bottom