Euonymus alatus, burning bush, spindle tree

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Things finally are moving but you better step back or you might get knocked over. It was in the 40s on Monday and 85° today and yesterday. Some parts of the state were pushing 90°. I guess this is one of the years where we bypass spring and go right to summer.

The tree is doing really well. Here is a spring picture. The quality is not the best. I guess I need to take the time to get a good picture one of these days.

View attachment 190274

Spring growth:
View attachment 190275
Branches are really coming along!
Looks awesome!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is looking really good. I think I might have to let mine grow more before trimming back, if I look at how your branches have developed. Sigh.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really nice tree, looking forward to seeing it in its fall form.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update

I wasn't really planning on working on this tree today. I started to remove some of the wire that was cutting in and ended up unwiring the whole tree and doing a quick cut back. Later in the fall I'll rewire everything and do a real cut back.

Before doing anything:
IMG_20180808_204611.jpg

After cutback and wire removal:
IMG_20180808_204733.jpg

Not much of a change but a little bit of an improvement. I'm looking forward to getting everything wired out again. It is going to be a big job though.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did a cutback a couple of weeks ago and got some wire on the tree. There are some areas that need some more adjusting.

I picked up a pot for it in the spring. I'm fairly sure that it is the final pot but it will be a change of scenery for a couple of years.

Here is the tree now:
IMG_20181003_065343.jpg IMG_20181003_065507.jpg

Right after collection 2014:
IMG_20181003_070146.jpg

A couple of months after collection:
IMG_20181003_070105.jpg

I'm really happy with the way it is progressing but I see a lot of areas that need improvement.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's the pot. The color is an almost metallic gray. I'm not quite convinced that the color is right but I think it could work with the fall colors.

IMG_20181003_195715.jpg

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For ramification when do you cut back during the growing season?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good job keeping this tree s going!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For ramification when do you cut back during the growing season?

I only get a single flush per season. I've waited until fall to do my cutbacks so that I can get maximum energy return.

Ramification builds predictably but slowly. Each bud forms a single extension with no side branching. Over the course of the season a bud is set at the base of each leaf. Then the process repeats the next season with each bud.

I have found it the best to let the bud extend and then cut back to one node. It is a long process but very good ramification can be built this way.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find i get multiple flushes per year. Good cutback, defoliation and fertilizer spike each seem to be able to trigger a flush. Three flushes seems normal.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Repotting time!

It was a bit later than I would have liked but not bad. The buds are just starting to open. This was the second Repot since collection. I was really happy with the progress that has been made.

Pulled out of the pot before any work:
IMG_20190420_150621829.jpg

After the bottom was worked. The dark part in the center is where the roots were flattened at the last repot.
IMG_20190420_151411163.jpg

Reducing some root stubs:
IMG_20190420_153140786.jpg

All tied in:
IMG_20190420_155416954.jpg

Done and watered, I'll try to get some better pictures in the next couple of days.
IMG_20190420_160816883_HDR.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a healthy tree.It is my understanding Euonymous root easily from cuttings.I have some old growth Euonymous in the back yard I want to propogate a bunch and maybe in about 5 years I’ll be glad I did.Mini trees

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find i get multiple flushes per year. Good cutback, defoliation and fertilizer spike each seem to be able to trigger a flush. Three flushes seems normal.

I got two decent flushes of growth on mine last spring - the second after I'd cut it back fairly hard after the first flush. I was quite pleased. It's just now flowering and breaking buds.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got two decent flushes of growth on mine last spring - the second after I'd cut it back fairly hard after the first flush. I was quite pleased. It's just now flowering and breaking buds.

Looks like I am ahead here. Just trimmed 6 inches of growth off of mine yesterday! As usual.. Did not take any pictures; Sigh

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's freezing here again tonight. I'm up on a mountain and spring's trying hard to arrive but winter's pitching what I hope is a last tantrum! We had snow today but it was brief.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a healthy tree.It is my understanding Euonymous root easily from cuttings.I have some old growth Euonymous in the back yard I want to propogate a bunch and maybe in about 5 years I’ll be glad I did.Mini trees

Take a look underneath and around your Euonymous. It is likely that you will find some seedlings. They are fairly invasive in in some areas. Some states have banned them all together.

This year I may try cutting back right after the first flush to see what I get. It is possible that I can force a second flush similar to JBP. Since it was just reported I'll probably wait until next year to try.

Top Bottom