Euonymus alatus compacta (Burning bush) questions

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just found a burning bush at a nursery with a nice trunk and nebari. Anyone have experience with them? Its already leafed out. Is it too late to repot and prune?

Thanks

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got a few from Don Blackmond this past winter so I'm unfortunately (and fortunately) still learning but perhaps he'd be able to chime in. There really isn't a ton on the web about em.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm not too much knowledge on these it seems.

I have to make some decisions with these guys in the next few days.
Guess Ill have to wing it.
Ill post progress if they survive and start to look like something.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They only push one flush of growth per year, so cutting it back now will not produce backbudding or ramification for this growing season.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found them finicky. The new growth has weird fins on the trunks as they grow, do not scrape them off because as easily as they come off the branch will easily die from the removal of them. They are also very brittle to wire, the growth with the fins (younger) wires easily but the wire tears up the fins on the new growth killing the branches. I know that when the fine fins are damaged they leave them vulnerable to disease and pests, and I think thats why the branches die back. They are prone to powdery mildew, get a gall that browns the top, they get scale and spider mites, like I said they are finicky plants to deal with. They are beautiful in the fall though.

ed

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's already leafed out, I'd think you could slip-pot to a slightly larger pot if needed, but probably should leave major root work till next spring. I have limited experience with these...one nursery plant purchased in fall 2011. Last spring (2012) I removed about 1/2 of the root mass, pruned heavily and repotted. It produced strong growth. I had heard about the "1 growth flush per year" and tested by pruning back some of the stronger new shoots...no new growth after that, which supports the idea. This spring I repotted and removed more roots, looking to expose surface roots...didn't find much, unfortunately. Be prepared, these things produce very dense root masses.

Euonymus are pretty tough. I have one that is planted in the garden. Two winters ago voles removed all the bark (as far as I could tell) but the plant is still alive and growing. So you might be able to get away with root work and hard pruning now, but why chance it?

Chris

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the replys

When I get a chance, Ill look at the roots and see how potbound they are/how much soil is in the pots.
I had a problem with a potbound tree I got last fall that had little to no soil in the pot. I repotted it this spring and still waiting to see if its going to make it. Id rather not repeat that experience if I can help it.

Top Bottom