Euonymus burning bush

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This is the first thread I have started.

I know this is not great material but it does have meaning and beauty to me.

My mom loved her burning bush which I never saw "burn" since I lived in another state. Shortly after my mom died while entering Home Depot through the nursery, I saw a sign saying Burning Bush. Long story short, I bought one and planted it in a very large concrete pot. Several years later my bush "burned" and then I understood my mom's love of this bush.

Situation is this bush has been in the concrete pot for 9 years. The root ball is compacted and badly needs attention. I have decided I want to try this bush as a bonsai. It will need drastic cut back.

Question: Is it okay to cut back now? Buds are starting to swell due to mild winter. Also, would it be okay to repot into a nursery pot or one of the screen bags (another thread) in March/April?

It is storming here in Alabama today so I will take new photos showing the bush as is today tomorrow.35DA2B6.jpgBurning Bush  002.jpg

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
it would be best to repot the tree just before bud break early in spring.... they are tough birds and can take pretty intense work on their roots....

branches are brittle once hard so it is important to wire them when young.... you can cut back pretty hard and get some decent back budding but they only hace one major push each ... so you will want to pretty much only prune them heavily once a year just before bud break or shortly there after ...

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
it would be best to repot the tree just before bud break early in spring.... they are tough birds and can take pretty intense work on their roots....

branches are brittle once hard so it is important to wire them when young.... you can cut back pretty hard and get some decent back budding but they only hace one major push each ... so you will want to pretty much only prune them heavily once a year just before bud break or shortly there after ...

Thank you for your response and for confirming what I thought. Weather is much better here today and I hope to post some photos of the tree as it is now. Maybe someone will have suggestions as to what the best way to cut back and which if any branches need to be eliminated. Again, thanks very much. I always read your posts with great interest.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ron, give me a call when you get ready to work on it and I'll come give you a hand if you want. I normally repot in the 2nd-3rd weeks of March, and with the weather like this, we may be able to start earlier.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ron, give me a call when you get ready to work on it and I'll come give you a hand if you want. I normally repot in the 2nd-3rd weeks of March, and with the weather like this, we may be able to start earlier.

You'd get a better answer than that!!!!

Top Bottom