Euonymus europaeus/Burning bush/Spindle tree

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I spoke about this tree on another thread here, ive just started working on it today, ive cut back most of the long thick trunks as the plan is to make a small stocky tree, the chops will eventually be hollowed, the tree will be carved to add further interest. i bought this tree mainly for the seasonal interest...

rm870a_1.jpg

rm870b.jpg

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7803.jpg

IMG_7838.jpg

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg

IMG_7823.jpg

there is some movement in all of the branches but its more obvious in the flesh, can tweek the wiring as the tree gets used to having wire on in a few weeks. the carving is going to make this tree, just needs time now.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ive done a little on it, couldnt resist getting the Makita n Dremel out! still early days but you can see where its heading now..
Ive been trying to make it look more like a gnarled, old, battered trunk and less of a chaotic mass of shrubby sticks! its a bit tricky, but getting there...eventually it will have a full broom shaped canopy like an ancient oak..
IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7985.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7987.jpg

Cotyledon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Yea I like it! Hard to stop once you start:D. And I think it's easier on the tree to get the worst part done all at once. Then leave it alone. Gonna be a good one

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
With all the mild weather here in UK, this one is already back budding!
IMG_8394.jpg

The branches are sending out new buds closer to the trunk too.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
With all the mild weather here in UK, this one is already back budding!
IMG_8394.jpg

The branches are sending out new buds closer to the trunk too.
That can't be good....
I've noticed Forsythia plants, and azaleas blooming around here.
Does anyone know how detrimental that can be for a plant? I think I read that Burning Bush usually pushes out one flush of growth per season, does it mean that the plant will take a whole season to recover? Assuming that the new growth will die off when the cold does finally come....

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That can't be good....
I've noticed Forsythia plants, and azaleas blooming around here.
Does anyone know how detrimental that can be for a plant? I think I read that Burning Bush usually pushes out one flush of growth per season, does it mean that the plant will take a whole season to recover? Assuming that the new growth will die off when the cold does finally come....

I think mine should be ok, they are kept on a first floor balcony, i dont really get frost up here, the building also generates a little more heat in the winter. its the hard prune along with warm weather which has caused it to back bud. i'd imagine it will go crazy in the spring as normal..

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happened to this guy? Do you still have it?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
maybe it can still be found in the allotment burn pile🤔

if you want inspiration look to Walter pall's burning bush trees....

actually if i remember, it was put in the ground and i accidently trod on it a few times which resulted in a useless piece of wood😂

firewood!

Top Bottom