European Beech #2

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This Beech has been a source of inspiration for a few years now. ive enjoyed watching the process.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
European Beech #2 - it's a good idea to totally defoliate this species after letting grow freely for at least six weeks and no pinching after bud-break
Now that's useful info, today.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
what ive noted with Walter's collected beeches, they started out, having very good primary branch structure and quite a bit to work with in terms of setting the primary and even the secondary lines. he's then began to apply his techniques to great success.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wanted this beech to be like Walter's tree..
my mistake was rushing it into too small of a pot, i remember at the time i cut back some quite important roots so it would fit the pot and it leafed out and looked ok for a few weeks then began to wilt
20200609_172752.jpg20200609_172820.jpg

now if you notice i tend to use larger, deeper pots for training pots.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Once in a while people are afraid that I might have done something dangerous or outright wrong. Then some folks have remarked that they 'know' that beech should not get full defoliation ever - they will not like it and suffer2020-06-TSC_1451x.jpg ot even die.

I also used to say this ten years ago. Then I have discovered the Hedge Pruning Method in combination with total defoliation. It works very well. But only in this combination!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Total defoliation needs to include removing every primary tip. I think that's what you mean by, "...It works very well. But only in this combination!"
If the tip is not removed, there will be less back-budding, a lot less, and none in some cases.

Hedge pruning works for Walter because of the shape of Walter's trees. It is less useful for formal uprights that have layers and substantial open space between layers. The size and shape of the open spaces is what needs to be maintained, so internal back-budding is a secondary function that accrues in reducing the size of foliage via defoliation, and cleaning out back-budding that grows into the open spaces is just part of the job.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
European Beech #2 - update after hedge pruning and second flush. We are told that beeches should not be defoliated. Well, this one did not know it.

2020-07-TSC_1527ofx.jpg2020-07-TSC_1528ofx.jpg2020-07-TSC_1550ofx.jpg2020-07-TSC_1551ofx.jpg2020-07-TSC_1585ifx.jpg2020-07-TSC_1586ofx.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I like the style of your trees and hope once I have some deciduous ready to work with to emulate the more natural appearance you have. So with that said, I’ve started looking into your techniques. In the pictures I’ve found so far (and I’m about to search you and wiring lol) it appears you don’t protect the branches when running your guy wires. I also haven’t read a lot of your work yet but I think you prefer guy wires over wiring branches when possible? ( I swear I read that but could be wrong) I’ve just started looking into your work and I love the trees you have shared demonstrating hedge and defoliate and am currently researching that. Wiring and branch selection are next! Lol anyways I plan on looking into your blog and any information you’ve shared here. I’m currently in a horticulture stage learning what makes my various trees tick and not ready to work on trees, just getting ready! Any specific sources of info I should be focusing on regarding your wiring and defoliation techniques? Links, books, etc?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
European Beech #2 - update after hedge pruning and second flush. We are told that beeches should not be defoliated. Well, this one did not know it.

View attachment 314980View attachment 314981View attachment 314982View attachment 314983View attachment 314984View attachment 314985
I really appreciate that you show your trees from different angles, seasons, and stages of development. It gives a sense of bonsai as the living, dynamic and three dimensional art form that they are.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might that view on deleafing be explained by the sensitivity of the bark of beeches to direct sun? Am I correct that you would protect them against direct sun after deleafing?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Might that view on deleafing be explained by the sensitivity of the bark of beeches to direct sun? Am I correct that you would protect them against direct sun after deleafing?
Basically correct. I don't need to do this as the beech have to go into the greenhouse. They are not hardy outside in my climate in winter. There they do not need protection.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Basically correct. I don't need to do this as the beech have to go into the greenhouse. They are not hardy outside in my climate in winter. There they do not need protection.
Huh?

Top Bottom