European Beech #2

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Basically correct. I don't need to do this as the beech have to go into the greenhouse. They are not hardy outside in my climate in winter. There they do not need protection.
What is your elevation? Also, are you on a slope that affects your micro-climate? If so, facing, N, S, E or W?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What is your elevation? Also, are you on a slope that affects your micro-climate? If so, facing, N, S, E or W?
Elevation 2,500 feet, little slope facing south. No extraordinary micro climate.
I hear this often that folks think my very different methods work in my garden because Ii MUST have a very special micro climate. And people with normal climate should be careful.

This is nonsense. My microclimate is very normal for central Europe. It is very similar to most areas in Northeast USA. My students all over the world are very successful as bonsai gardeners in all sorts of climate.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry but does that mean that you keep it in the greenhouse all ye

They are in the greenhouse from end of November to middlle of April. While beech and oaks are happy ouside in central and northern Europe they are not hardy in a bonsai pot. Contrary to gerneral belief a tree that suvives your winter in your garden may well die in a bonsai pot because it is intolerant to freezing roots. The biggest problem are late frosts when the roots are frozen (in a bonsai pot) and the sun warmus up the bark. Then the sap flow starts and the roots don'r function. This causes braking of the sap lines and can cause death of parts of the tree or the whole. Outside this will not happen as the roots of large trees are not frozen at all while the upper parts can be very cold. Bottom line: in areas where it freezes in winter outside beech and oaks must get frost protection. This regardless of whether the same species survives your winters well outside

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Frost protection for me is mulching with leaves, and it works well.

Top Bottom