European beech future?

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have this beech growing in the ground, and I believe this is destined for a chop in spring of 2020 at the earliest. The trunk is very straight, with no low branching, and the better google images of beeches have low branching and some movement in the trunk.

The trunk has been chopped twice at the top, though, so I feel like I’m not grasping the concept that the grower had for it.
Please let me know what you think. Ridley

Attachments

• AA804610-28AA-4B1C-9E68-1DC86DDD961D.jpeg
    AA804610-28AA-4B1C-9E68-1DC86DDD961D.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 52

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why not air layer just above the second branch? Two trees are better than one.
Then you'll have your chop, and a small tree with low branches and movement. A win-win?
Oooh, great idea. Thanks!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Why not air layer just above the second branch?

Or below : but yes, air-layering seems to be the right thing to do.

And when cut drastically, the lower part will backbud, no question, so yes, you'll get two trees.

AA804610-28AA-4B1C-9E68-1DC86DDD961D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rid

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
General guideline, your first branch should be at about one third of the final height you envision for the tree. You should have chopped much lower the fist time. Hopefully it will respond to air layering.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally I would leave it in the ground to thicken up. Beech don't take well to air layering and the resulting tree would be too small for the leaf size.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
General guideline, your first branch should be at about one third of the final height you envision for the tree. You should have chopped much lower the fist time. Hopefully it will respond to air layering.
The tree was grown and chopped by people who know way more about this than I do, so I figured they had a reason for chopping so high.

Top Bottom