European Beech Indoors for a Little Bit?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

My European Beech started leafing out, and it wasn't long before I noticed some holes in the leaves. I see no bugs, even looking magnified. I see no tracks of slugs, and even checked at night/early morning. No other plants have this happening. I did get some Sluggo though just to be sure. Somebody mentioned possible wind damage, and after reading about that it seems the most likely. After trying to find a low wind spot and come up with some solution in the yard, I gave up and had the idea of keeping it inside for a bit. Figured if I can shelter it from the wind and keep an eye on it until the leaves come out and get a bit bigger (I read the new leaves are most delicate) that might solve my problem. Also if it still gets holes while inside (no wind) that rules that out. Which leads me to my question: can it stay inside for a little bit (let's say a week) and be okay?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20210416_150012.jpg
    20210416_150012.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

<<<<< It will show here.

When you put this full sun tree back outdoors, protect the leaves from full sun for a few days. It's like you spending time in a closet and then going outdoors on a sunny day. Your eyeballs will be in pain because they are adjusted to low light. The leaves will be bigger when grown not in full sun.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It almost looks burned. How many leaves are affected? Only those 2?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Can your beech survive a week indoors? Probably. Should it be brought indoors to avoid what ever is going on? I would say no. Beech is an outdoor tree. Anytime indoors it will not get the full sun it needs to thrive. Indoors it will not get the sharp cooling off at night it would get outdoors. The humidity indoors will be lower than outdoors. The list goes on. Anytime indoors will be less than optimal growth. I would leave your beech outdoors.

What's going on with your beech? I have no clue. But "stuff happens". Every one of my trees has a few leaves that have been nipped, bitten, scrunched or otherwise malformed. But the vast majority are fine.

I would just leave your beech outdoors. If you can not find a cause, it might just be a "one off" occurrence. Something flew by, took a bite and left.

You can make yourself crazy if damage on only one or two leaves is viewed as reason to respond.

I would just wait, see if the damage keeps happening, see if the damage is more wide spread. And see if over time the cause for this damage becomes obvious.

Beech are resilient, it will survive. Relax. Keep looking for a cause, but don't panic and bring the tree inside. Being inside will do far more harm than the little bit of damage you already have.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks pinched or chewed. Nothing I’d bring it inside for.
Beech do well in some shade & protection from wind, especially in a hot climate.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some varieties of stinkbugs suck patches of leafs dry. Those patches fall out, leaving a weird shaped hole.

Beeches are some of the favorites.
A couple years ago I took this photo of a beech.
DSCF3190.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems they're not as interested as they can be.
japanese-beetle-damage_1_full_width.jpg

They won't find it inside, but they won't want to!

Sorce

Top Bottom