European Beech Rootwork

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks.

Quick question ahead of repotting. I've got a European Beech that's about 7-8 years old, been mainly pot grown and in a wooden box for last 4 years. I'm wondering how hard you can cut back the roots on beech trees? This tree's got roots that are like lollipops with a long bare root with lots of feeders at the end. I'd really like to start improving the roots.
Can I just cut these long roots right back close? Or in half? Or will they die if I do that? What's the best approach?

Thanks all

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the fine roots on the ends are not the only fine roots it has.

My practice is a bit conservative - I cut back in stages, always keeping some 'feeders' or thin roots branching from the heavy thing --> then there is always something keeping the 'juices' (hormones and carbohydrates) flowing. It often isn't necessary, but my experiences are that being a touch too aggressive slows progress far more than being a bit timid.

On the other hand I will prune these big roots twice in a growing season; first in spring repotting and then in early summer by uncovering them and otherwise leaving the tree undisturbed in the pot (the stuff cut off gets removed in the following spring repot). Of course, leave it be if it hasn't been growing vigorously (which it might not be if you overdid things the previous spring).

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my experience, for such a young tree (7 - 8 years old) you don't need to worry much: you can cut it back for roughly 50% or even more, if you have strong and compact root base and when the time is right: when buds begin to open. Choosing a right time is the most important factor when repotting European Beech. Just don't repot too early, when buds are not yet moving and you will be just fine. Older Beech (20 or 30 + years old) ... that's a completely different story, you have to be very careful with root pruning older beech trees.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys.
If the fine roots on the ends are not the only fine roots it has.

My practice is a bit conservative - I cut back in stages, always keeping some 'feeders' or thin roots branching from the heavy thing --> then there is always something keeping the 'juices' (hormones and carbohydrates) flowing. It often isn't necessary, but my experiences are that being a touch too aggressive slows progress far more than being a bit timid.

On the other hand I will prune these big roots twice in a growing season; first in spring repotting and then in early summer by uncovering them and otherwise leaving the tree undisturbed in the pot (the stuff cut off gets removed in the following spring repot). Of course, leave it be if it hasn't been growing vigorously (which it might not be if you overdid things the previous spring).

So do you treat 50% of the roots this way, Oso, or all of them? Sounds like a solid process and if it had worked for you ...

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
In my experience, for such a young tree (7 - 8 years old) you don't need to worry much: you can cut it back for roughly 50% or even more, if you have strong and compact root base and when the time is right: when buds begin to open. Choosing a right time is the most important factor when repotting European Beech. Just don't repot too early, when buds are not yet moving and you will be just fine. Older Beech (20 or 30 + years old) ... that's a completely different story, you have to be very careful with root pruning older beech trees.

Thanks Igor. So you’re quite bullish then and just tackle all the roots the same way? And you recommend doing the work early spring before buds wake up

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Igor. So you’re quite bullish then and just tackle all the roots the same way? And you recommend doing the work early spring before buds wake up
No no, there must be some misunderstanding. Don't repot European Beech too early! If you repot too early, when buds are still dormant, you might weaken the tree. Wait until your beech has swelling buds all over the branches.
About the roots: If the tree is very young, vigorous, and it has at least few buds (i guess the tree is not trunk chopped without any buds left on the trunk/branches?) you can safely cut 50% of the roots (on young Fagus Sylvatica only!). If the tree only has long roots, with feeders at the end, than you can cut back every second root and let others untouched (hard to say exactly without seeing a picture of the roots).

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have a photo of this European Beech tree In discussion?

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
This beech is planted in quite a big grow box so is hard for me to photograph against a plain background. I’ve taken a couple but they’re not great. There are a couple of trunk sections that are a bit bare so I’ll approach graft or thread graft new branches into these and do some wiring this spring to arrange the branches a little better

4FB1EB14-9DA1-419A-9FE2-EA6CCE9D4CED.jpeg49AD14D0-6767-4E13-80EE-405B772BCF50.jpeg

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
No no, there must be some misunderstanding. Don't repot European Beech too early! If you repot too early, when buds are still dormant, you might weaken the tree. Wait until your beech has swelling buds all over the branches.
About the roots: If the tree is very young, vigorous, and it has at least few buds (i guess the tree is not trunk chopped without any buds left on the trunk/branches?) you can safely cut 50% of the roots (on young Fagus Sylvatica only!). If the tree only has long roots, with feeders at the end, than you can cut back every second root and let others untouched (hard to say exactly without seeing a picture of the roots).
Oh ok, understood. Thanks for that.

Top Bottom