European Beech/Shohin

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fagus Sylvatica, I acquired the tree a few days ago, ive wired it and will re pot in spring. overtime will develop the fine ramification.
p1170957_1.jpg

p1170954.jpg

How i received it
IMG_7782.jpg

After wiring and tidy up-chosen front-
IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7801.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this tree, I do hope you have luck with reducing leaves. Most beeches are grown into a larger form because of this. I love beech.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm right with Judy, I love beech as they are so unique and love the winter image. I plan on getting more this spring

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beech are another specie that kanuma is a terrific substrate to use with.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like this tree, I do hope you have luck with reducing leaves. Most beeches are grown into a larger form because of this. I love beech.
Hi Judy, the leaves on this one dont look overly big, i know what you mean though. not many Shohin Beech around, a google search throws up this one, one from the IBC and another from art of bonsai website so quite rare. i think they will get smaller with more ramification and root reduction over time, maybe partial defoliation later, so will see how it does...I love Beech, i have one in the ground and had been eying up this one for a good while

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just don't fertilize it early in the season before the leaves harden off. They get horrible leaf burn from this. Part of the reason kanuma works so well. And keep well protected from wind. They hate wind.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bobbylane,

I'm gonna have to put you on ignore!

I got nothing else!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Cute little tree! Smaller pot will help reduce the leaves faster if you can manage taking care of it during the summers!

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Personally, I would put this tree in a box to help develop better roots, it seems to be lacking a bit on that front. Also better ramification will develop if you let it grow out and then cut it back. It's a cute tree now, but I can see a much better tree in its future with a bit of patience and careful work!

http://bonsaitonight.com/2010/04/13/repotting-a-japanese-maple/

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Its from G Potter's website yes, apparently it came from a private collection.
Andrew i dont have space for a big box on my balcony! it will stay in this pot or i may slip it into something nice in spring. I like the roots as are, there are some young roots growing in good positions that would further enhance the tree in time, ive covered them up for now, but can have a better look when i re pot.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice color of the leaves in the first pics.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Top Bottom