European Beech Summer Trimming?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a large EB that I've always pinched back the leaf buds before they extended. This season I didn't and they have grown out and the leaves have hardened off to a nice bright green. My question is can I trim it back now or wait till fall. I could show a pic, but it's just a big green ball with a trunk sticking out the bottom. Thanks for any advice.
I went ahead with a quick pic anyway, 'cause I know y'all love pics.14984360559661522535486.jpg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can trim it back now. I'd start to get some structure in your branching and reducing length. When you cut back I'd look to start introducing more sunlight on the interior by partial leaf cutting. Leave more leaf density on the lower third - beech are very apically dominant.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't know about the climate where you live, in oregon, and what's more, about the weathyer at this time of the year in 2017, but:

Most (if not all) French bonsai enthusiasts would tell you that defoliating a beech is a complete no-no.

This is what I used to believe until I read a post by Walter Pall, a bonsai "amateur" ( :D ) who lives in Germany, another small country bordering mine, and he said that he totally defoliated his beech bonsai up to three times a season.

:eek:

I tried it, and it worked!

I only did it once in the season because I live in a plain whereas, as far I I know, he lives in a more elevated place where nights are probably cooler in the hottest months of the year, hence some morning dew.

BUT: if this is not really an answer to your question, I think that the right answer to a question can come from someone who has some experience with the species in a similar environment.

=> From what I imagine what "Oregon" is like, I would definitely defoliate it totally, and then trim it.

A link: http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.fr/2008/07/new-growth-after-defoliation.html

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Alain, yes, I sometimes do defoliate beech when they are very healthy. I NEVER defoliate them three times a season. This would weaken them way too much. I uasually only defoliate every other year or take even more time. Normally I cut every beech back to two leaves (or two buds, which is the same) right now, which is six to seven weeks after the fist foliage flush. They will bring new growth in about two to three weeks. Which is middle of July. Then I leave them alone and cut back in winter.

1.jpg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone for the good info.
I am in the mountains on the west side of the Cascade Mts. There is indeed dew most mornings. We're ten to fifteen degrees cooler than the valley. Lots of bonsai grace up here.
If I were of a mind to chop the tree to a new beginning when would be the time to do this. Do Beech airlayer well? I'm trying to decide which direction to go with it. It's certainly bigger than I want for bonsai. She's big and beautiful and very healthy, I'd like to see her down to about 18" (4' now). Thanks again for your input on this tree.

Top Bottom