European Beech x10 - Starting at Step 2

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up 10 young Beech trees as ground growing material. All fairly standard, long taproots, little to no movement in the trunks, but have a good size trunk to start with, at least.
So without starting them as seeds, I'm starting at the beginning.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-31 at 12.42.56.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-31 at 12.42.57 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-31 at 12.42.57.jpeg

Most of them, I can reduce the taproot a good amount, some I can't due to the roots. But will do what I can.

Plan:

Plant all possible, on tiles to help nebari growth. They will be planted in my flower bed, compost/top soil. I'm thinking of making surround the root ball of 1 or 2 of them in akadama/pumice, just as an experiment to see how its roots develop over a few years, compared to others. But I think this will cause watering problems, as its surrounded by heavy organics.
For the most part, they will be grown and just get healthy and full of energy, and thicken for however many years it takes. Ill try to work their roots every 1 or 2 years.
There will possibly be a need to ground layer them for better roots, all or most of them, possibly next year if they grow well and are healthy.
Then when ready, all will be trunk chopped to introduce better movement in the trunks.

I am thinking 5 of them could be made in to a forest, if that were the case, their thickness is already good for that but need trunk chopping for movement. Something ill research more, I don't know much about forests.

Check back in, in about 5 years. I might something good to work on. I am new to this species so my plan is to gain experience and understanding of them as trees, before attempting to care for, maintain and keep one as Bonsai.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The competitors are at the starting block.

1617272847575.png

There are a few different things being done, one has had more root removed than the others, one is completely on a tile. Another is on a split tile, taproot going through the middle but 3-4 surface roots splayed out on the tile. 3 of them are zip tied together, nothing else done in terms of root removal of scrapping cambium for fusion. Will simply leave and let grow, let nature do the work.

1617272948533.png
1617272958348.png
1617272970067.png

Most have low branches which is good. One like this is quite nice, can see what possibilities it has in the future.

1617272999985.png

Strapped down with zip ties.

1617273058757.png

Now does anyone know where I can purchase perhaps 3 - 5years? In the UK.
Anyone?

Wait, I have to wait that long, myself, I can't buy it?! Alright, I guess I'll just go buy some chicken poop instead...

Top Bottom