European Beech

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
European HORNBEAM not Beech

Hello Everyone,
Edit~ This is actually a European hornbeam, I got my tree pictures mixed up...sorry for the mix up! Here is a field grown European Hornbeam that I just styled for the first time. I messed up badly and didn't get before photos. To me I think this was a huge transformation and I hope I can dig up a photo from the archieves somewhere.

First picture is after intial wiring and branch placement but with the old pot from 2 years ago when I dug it. New pot is Chinese.
The rest of the pictures show the sides, back and front. It had bad reverse taper and I was able to do some carving on a dead section of the trunk to elminate a lot of the reverse taper.
I am pleased with the tree for now and think with some additional trunk work and ramification it will make an ok tree for the bench!

Let me know what I can do to make it better....

Thanks Jason

Attachments

• frontb4.JPG
    frontb4.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 71
  • frontafter.JPG
    frontafter.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 58
  • left.JPG
    left.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 39
  • right.JPG
    right.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 49
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jason,

Looking good! On the last picture, is that a root on the left, or just a bit of substrate? If there isn't a root there, I would consider grafting one there at some point. If there is, you might let that side of the nebari grow a little wild to develop it.

-Darrell

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Good work, Jason!

Thanks Chris! Glad you like!

Hi Jason,

Looking good! On the last picture, is that a root on the left, or just a bit of substrate? If there isn't a root there, I would consider grafting one there at some point. If there is, you might let that side of the nebari grow a little wild to develop it.

-Darrell

Hey Darrell, Yeah that is a root that you are seeing there... that is the back of the tree and has some funky stuff going on with the roots right there. From the front the roots are very good. Just a little in the back that needs improvement.

it's coming along nicely jason.
Thanks Art!

Fine, leave it alone for the season.
Thanks Walter.... yes I am done with this for the season.... now I will pinch and pinch and water..... :)

Thanks, Jason

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The right side view is pretty wild looking. In a good way:)

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The right side view is pretty wild looking. In a good way:)

Thanks Grog..... this tree has a few angles that are pretty wild looking. Personally, I like that look!

See Ya, Jason

Top Bottom