European Beech

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Anyone in zone 5 or 6 have Beech trees moving yet? Not a sign of movement from mine as yet

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
5oF6w+u6SCuCZIxHZG2bqw.jpg%sVKwU71QVWsMXgvLdC01Q.jpg
Anyone in zone 5 or 6 have Beech trees moving yet? Not a sign of movement from mine as yet
Hi Peter- We've spoken before...I think you got yours from Bill V at International Bonsai like I did. 8 out of 10 of mine have leafed out. I'm a little concerned about that largest one...the 'mother tree' in my small forest grouping not leafing out yet. That one had last years dead leaves still attached. Did any of yours still have last years dead leaves on them?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
All of them did and I don't know what that means. No green pushing on mine at all but you have had yours longer than I. Maybe mine were in cold storage and will be a bit longer. I planted two groups of here and one single. They are very nice and sure hope they will make it. Peter

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
yeah...I don't know either. (last years leaves attached). Only the largest one of mine had them on...the rest were bare. Best of luck Peter...I'll keep watching your content to see if they finally leaf out.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got one from Bill V about 7 weeks ago. It sat there doing nothing until 2 weeks ago. Now it has exploded. I am in northern North Carolina.

g-gioffs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My American beech leafed out just this week. I had it in the ground for 2 years and potted in a training box. What should I be doing to encourage branch growth lower on the tree? I’m thinking I want to top the tree at the white line.5FE88849-8D23-48E9-8943-C4CF38FBE2AE.jpeg5FE88849-8D23-48E9-8943-C4CF38FBE2AE.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Have you noticed any bud swelling? Bud flakes coming off?
Beeches can be notoriously late, but they work up to leafing out for quite some time and those signs can be a good indicator of life.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had a European beech for several years and it always spends the winter with all its brown leaves attached, until I carefully pick them off. It's usually the last of my trees to leaf out, at least a week or two behind everything else.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might a been Beam but I think this thread exists this year...

"Beeches wake up yet?"
Or something of the like.

Lotta perspective from North to South.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My European Beech tree has been in the ground growing for several years. No impressive growth in my climate. None at all. I’m thinking of moving it to a box where I can better dictate the sun exposure....perhaps I misinterpreted information about the tree growing best under the shadows of bigger trees (oaks) and just getting dappled sun exposure. After several years it’s still a stick...in the ground. Very short bud-swell time this year....buds just quickly burst into leaves in the last couple days.....and it’s still been very cold outside. The full leafing-out seems early to me this year. It just moved from dormant to leaf-out with very little notice....I think I need to have a talk with the tree.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
All of them did and I don't know what that means. No green pushing on mine at all but you have had yours longer than I. Maybe mine were in cold storage and will be a bit longer. I planted two groups of here and one single. They are very nice and sure hope they will make it. Peter

Peter have you scratched the bark on the branches and see if they are still green? It is very common for beech to keep their dead leaves through winter and into spring. I usually just cut them off although it can be time cosuming on a larger tree. My European beech just leafed out this past week.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'll do the scratch test and get a picture or two later today. Thanks for input!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Tri-color gave me some concern but leafed out like crazy May 1st. I bought it early last winter and it was about 5 feet tall in a 7 gallon nursery pot. I chopped it back to about 2 feet tall and left it in the pot in April. Leaves are absolutely huge now but that is ok because I just want it to grow this year. I will begin training next year.

Top Bottom