European Hornbeam #13

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I almost never bareroot anything. I try to repot only when I really have to. When I repot I try to disturb the root ball as little as possible. This applies to trees in all stages of development. There are hundreds of pictures on the net where I work with very raw material in a very similar manner than with very developed material. it is my firm belief that we don't do a tree a favor by repotting it. We hurt it and take a risk. Trees hate to be repotted. So try to avoid it as far as possible.. if you do try to do as little as possible to the roots. Do not cut roots and think that it is good for the tree!
Hate my methods? Methods should only be judged by results - not by how contrary they are to mainstream.
I absolutely disagree to the notion that I am giving false signals to the ordinary bonsai person. I publish things as I know they are right for all levels of bonsai practitioners.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was wondering...good thing I asked. I recently dug two that were perfect with the Golden bud but no green showing anywhere. They dug well and I got some good roots , brought them right home in native soil and planted in bonsai soil, saving some of the native soil around the root ball. They budded out about 1/4-1/2" and then just stopped in their tracks. The budding is still green but not moving for two weeks now. Don't know what that means. I was told that when you see the gold on the end of the bud, that is the time to collect them. Maybe wrong info??

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Collected trees leave out a bit and then suddenly stop when they have too much root damage. With larches this is usually fatal.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Another question with this repotting/collecting if you will. I have 7 European beech seedlings that I purchased this spring to use for clump plantings. I arranged them in two groups of 3 and one single. I root pruned them pretty severely to get them in clumps and only 3 of them lived. Can I re-group the live ones in one clump now or should I wait until next spring? Help appreciated

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are you really reading what I write? Now is a terrible time to repot any tree! Beeches are very difficult trees and you will kill them.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I love your trees Walter, there's and ellegence and rustic beauty to them no Japanese tree can duplicate.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think it's beautiful and a compelling design. You have done a great service to the world of bonsai in developing a new way to design bonsai.

Top Bottom