European Hornbeam info

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
I picked up these two trees today on super sale for about $11 each, hence the spray paint lol. They look pretty scorched and buggy, lots of little cottony web stuff on the leaves. I intend to treat them for the bugs with some bug soap spray.
Should I do any trimming?
Fertilize?
Or just treat for pests and keep it healthy until spring?
IMG_5502.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd add a Bayer Tree & Shrub Systemic now which will get you clean over winter. Do it again after it flushes out next spring and every year thereafter before bud swell in early spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'd add a Bayer Tree & Shrub Systemic now which will get you clean over winter. Do it again after it flushes out next spring and every year thereafter before bud swell in early spring.
I'm glad you brought that up as I have been curious about systemic treatments. I currently have Daconil, endall 3-1 incesticidal soap, and neem oil. Does this replace those or use in addition to? what's the difference?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Daconil is a fungicide, while insecticidal soap and neem oil are mostly contact killers. The Bayer systemic has imidacloprid which will be taken up by the tree and poison anything that tries to it. Just be mindful about the imidacloprid runoff, don't dump it in your flowers and kill the bees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Daconil is a fungicide, while insecticidal soap and neem oil are mostly contact killers. The Bayer systemic has imidacloprid which will be taken up by the tree and poison anything that tries to it. Just be mindful about the imidacloprid runoff, don't dump it in your flowers and kill the bees.
Thanks for the reply, sounds like the Bayer would be a nogo. The bees know my water schedule and come drink from all my plants, specifically from the soil.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
theyre not prone to many pests, not like say beech that are a bit prone to wooly aphids. things like spidermite (if you see them) can be hosed off with water. i find that water and a drop of washing up liquid in a spray bottle does a great job against aphids or mites. to be safe though a jet of insecticide will be good since theyre just coming into your garden. i often do that when getting new trees.

Top Bottom