European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would like to get some tips and advices on styling this Hornbeam. I'm still at beginner phase, so i would really appreciate some input.
If i understand correctly, i should wait with pruning until new growth hardens off, and i should wait with hard pruning until the late winter?

And another thing. How long does it usually take for buds to became leaves? Been reading some thread in this community regarding buds dying and i'm getting a bit worried.

Thanks!
20190326_185621.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hornbeams are usually later to leaf out, but it shouldn’t be long.

I would wait to prune anything until the spring flush has hardened off, then trim each shoot back to 2 leaves. This is a very conservative approach for someone newer to Bonsai.

The primary branch is interesting, but I might shorten it a little, along with the apex (red lines).

The branches inside the green area will be important to preserve, because as time goes on, you’ll train those branches to visually soften that straight and taperless section of trunk.

This is a nice tree, don’t push it too hard or too fast, Hornbeams don’t respond too well to it. Enjoy it.
F58CE789-FBBC-467B-B755-58BDD89BB421.jpeg

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I assume i wait with the hard branch pruning until the late winter? And also, at the middle of the green area, there are two branches growing from one point (can provide more detailed picture later). I also plan to cut one out (the left - thinner one, if you can see it). Should i also wait for the late winter, considering that it is 'hard pruning'?

The point is marked with red circle and the branch is marked with grey line.

001.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Krone
That is a very nice tree. The advice Brian Van Fleet gave you is excellent. The first year or two, until you get to know the growing characteristics of this individual tree, I would do very little, no major cutting, no need to cut in winter.

The two cuts Brian Van Fleet suggested are at most all I would do for 2019. Do minor cuts after the summer solstice. Late June in NA and EU. This will allow time for the spring growth to mature. If you prune too early, other growth and the buds that are stimulated by the pruning will be excessively elongated and out of proportion. So don't make the small cuts too early.

As noted, this is a conservative method to follow for your hornbeam. As you become more familiar with bonsai you will learn other techniques and can be more aggressive. The tree you have has a very nice start toward a pleasant, good looking bonsai. I would say it needs no design change. This tree merely needs to grow, primarily to increase ramification. The number of levels of branching is all that needs to be increased. Refinement. Do design work needed.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That is a very nice tree. I have purchased two that are not anywhere near that nice. Does anyone know where I might get one like this in the States? Lucky you! Peter

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank for the info and advice. Much appreciated.
When you are saying that i have to prune the shoot back to two leaves. Have read plenty about this technique (wait for 4 or 5 leaves, than prune back to 1 or 2), but i am not 100% sure, if that means that i should count only leaves on the new (this years) growth or all the leaves that are on the branch after this years growth is hardened. Hope that i am clear about what i am asking. :)

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank for the info and advice. Much appreciated.
When you are saying that i have to prune the shoot back to two leaves. Have read plenty about this technique (wait for 4 or 5 leaves, than prune back to 1 or 2), but i am not 100% sure, if that means that i should count only leaves on the new (this years) growth or all the leaves that are on the branch after this years growth is hardened. Hope that i am clear about what i am asking. :)
Prune back to two leaves like this.
5FED39D1-D1EB-4B9F-ACAA-56A8FB8D98F1.jpeg

You should get two branches from those two and the process continues. 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8 and so on.
9B0BF087-5D30-4E85-8A9D-590F968E2EDE.jpeg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And Altarsenal what is the best way to get buds, branches on the trunk where there is none present now.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the link Brian. Good learn. I am trying to figure the best way to get buds/branches on a hornbeam that doesn't have very many and It is 20" tall. It has a good top but not much else I'm afraid. Peter

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for the link Brian. Good learn. I am trying to figure the best way to get buds/branches on a hornbeam that doesn't have very many and It is 20" tall. It has a good top but not much else I'm afraid. Peter

Hi Peter,
I have found these backbud well, and my thoughts are if you chopped/cut down your tree to say 8-10 inches, and by starting this again, it should pop buds everywhere.
Although unsure if American hornbeam is as easy to get buds popping.
Others can correct my information if it is not the same in the US.
Charles

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the encouragement Kiwi. My two hornbeams are the European ones. We are just getting into spring here and there is no budding on the hornbeams at all yet. Is this a good time to do the chop?? Thanks, Peter

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey. Back again. One follow up question. My hornbeam was doing great, i've pruned it yesterday for the first time and now i am wondering, what if new branch doesn't have 4 or 5 new leaves of new growth? Should i wait for the next growth?

Top Bottom