EUROPEAN HORNBEAM

D

Deleted member 21616

Or... you can go to my website as well M5BONSAIWORKS.com :)

those 2018 falls colors must be coming in soon . . . you going to treat us to a drone video of candy land this year? o_O

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Waiting for leaves to dry up so that I can more easily remove them from the tree. They hang on tightly much like beech. Will probably will do an update closer to spring.
I think you are just hoping for a big wind and are trying to avoid cutting the individual petioles of 20,000-30,000 leaves! :p

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you are just hoping for a big wind and are trying to avoid cutting the individual petioles of 20,000-30,000 leaves! :p

You're not kidding Oso! Looking at it it's a daunting task. As they dry I can pull them off more easily. Most however still hanging on tightly. I could cut them off but most likely it will take almost a full day to do so.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're not kidding Oso! Looking at it it's a daunting task. As they dry I can pull them off more easily. Most however still hanging on tightly. I could cut them off but most likely it will take almost a full day to do so.
Got a leaf blower?

the latest in 'state of the art' bonsai tools! :D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
At the pace your setting you could open up a bonsai arboretum

Still able to manage the trees in the garden myself but help these days would be most appreciated. Unfortunately I am very far from most folks in the Northeast.

D

Deleted member 21616

Got a leaf blower?

the latest in 'state of the art' bonsai tools! :D

i was going to recommend a good hedge pruning, to get a good jump start!

Attachments

• hedge-trimmer-blade-429796.jpg
    hedge-trimmer-blade-429796.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 24

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The finished repotting with yours truly posing next to it. In the photo with me, the camera somehow makes the tree look a lot smaller than what it really is. The tree is finally now on its way to becoming a bonsai one day.

The tree as it looks now. The repotting was successful and the tree exploded with growth. In a couple of weeks I plan to cut back the long taperless stubs and start creating better transitions from primary branches into the secondary ones. The job was not easy but seeing the results made it all worth it.

Great packing job:eek:! Packed well so roots did not dry. You like um big;);).

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For the first time since the beginning of the year I had a first look into the structure of this tree after spending several hours defoliating it. The tree now is ready for a more careful look as the selection process and refinement begins. As I turned it several times around, some angles were interesting to me.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is one heck of a tree, I would go nuts deciding what to keep. Can’t wait to see what happens, but I know it will be awesome.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have you picked a favorite front, Sergio? From some angles, the two trunks look a little slingshotty to me. If it were mine, I’d probably try and pick a front that minimized that appearance while simultaneously trying to maximize the basal flare. Eliminating one of the trunks is probably a no go at this point. Slingshot trunks don’t bother everyone though and there are certainly examples in nature. What are you thinking and what are your considerations for selecting a front on this tree?

S

Top Bottom