EUROPEAN HORNBEAM

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I feel your spot on with pic no.1 post 98. I love showing some of both trunks while eliminatinating the slingshot. For me it was less the slingshot then the pigeon breastedness of the side shot.
I like the virt.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I feel your spot on with pic no.1 post 98. I love showing some of both trunks while eliminatinating the slingshot. For me it was less the slingshot then the pigeon breastedness of the side shot.
I like the virt.

Thanks @Maloghurst. I feel with that view you get a bit of everything that's good about this tree. It feels pretty good specially when looking at it in person. The right trunk not sure yet whether I will do some carving and hollow it out at the very top to reduce some of its mass or cut it for more traditional taper. Unsure yet. I may start with the carving and proceed to the other option if not happy.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Geez... ok, ok! :p

Here are a few more photos from the other side BVF was asking about.

I like this front. It has a nice wide base and strong nebari. It doesn't quite 'flare' out at the base, but the roots have a lot of character here. You get a sense of the twin trunks as you move up and get that nice off-shoot side branching on the left down low which, in my opinion, looks really nice and increases the taper dramatically. With some cleanup, the splitting trunks higher up will be nicely showcased, framed by a nice mass of foliage.

What's with the tie strap, Sergio? do you just hold the box together without instead of nails or screws for easy removal of the tree later on?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually like the same front best that Mach5 also likes. I love seeing both trunks and the sketch he made much better than the side views. The side views are very nice but obscures a LOT of what I find interesting about this tree. I'm also a big fan of two trunk trees more than a lot of people but it really depends on the individual tree whether it works or not. I think it works really well with this one and the direction MACH5 wants to take it. I love it. A very powerful fairytale tree when it's out of leaf.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like this front. It has a nice wide base and strong nebari. It doesn't quite 'flare' out at the base, but the roots have a lot of character here. You get a sense of the twin trunks as you move up and get that nice off-shoot side branching on the left down low which, in my opinion, looks really nice and increases the taper dramatically. With some cleanup, the splitting trunks higher up will be nicely showcased, framed by a nice mass of foliage.

What's with the tie strap, Sergio? do you just hold the box together without instead of nails or screws for easy removal of the tree later on?

I used the strap for additional support and ensure everything holds together. The box uses screws but was worried about just splitting open. However, when it comes time to put it into a pot, I will remove the screws on a couple of sides for easier removal. Better than lifting the tree out of it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How’d it do this Summer @MACH5

Well I don't have any recent pics but the photos below show the tree almost two months ago when it was trimmed back. It now looks the same except with lots of new growth on it. I have not yet done any real work on this monster. I am hoping that in late winter/early spring I will get some real work done on it.

Before it was trimmed.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 9.01.03 PM.png

After trimming.

IMG_ A2537.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome looks healthy.I have taken a liking to European Hornbeam.
Bought 1/4 lb. of seed that I will start immediately in a few days.
Heard they air layer well.I would like to get creative with them early indoors over winter and extend the first season and then plant in the grow bed.Something to do!
Hopefully have them growing by February indoors.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome looks healthy.I have taken a liking to European Hornbeam.
Bought 1/4 lb. of seed that I will start immediately in a few days.
Heard they air layer well.I would like to get creative with them early indoors over winter and extend the first season and then plant in the grow bed.Something to do!
Hopefully have them growing by February indoors.

Good luck and have fun with yours Curtis. They are wonderful and tough as well. Autumn color not nearly as nice as the Korean hornbeam but when they do color is a nice yellow. I have heard sometimes they go orange but have not seen it myself.

Today. I am hoping next spring to get it into a bonsai pot... a very large bonsai pot! :eek:

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good luck and have fun with yours Curtis. They are wonderful and tough as well. Autumn color not nearly as nice as the Korean hornbeam but when they do color is a nice yellow. I have heard sometimes they go orange but have not seen it myself.

Today. I am hoping next spring to get it into a bonsai pot... a very large bonsai pot! :eek:

View attachment 260433

View attachment 260434
I've not seen any orange hues in mine in over 15 fall periods. The best was yellows. Korean Hornbeam has yellow, orange and a lot of red but it's hard to confuse the two: KH has much smaller leaves, a zig zag growth pattern and lighter bark.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Autumn color not nearly as nice as the Korean hornbeam
Thanks!
Funny.I also have a few 1 gallon Coreana Hornbeams arriving Wednesday.I am bringing indoors and try to force some juvenile growth that may be conducive for cuttings over winter.
I need to step up my game though if I want them to root.I hear they are difficult.Even Dirr’s book on propagation stated Korean Hornbeam as difficult,but I am doing research and have learned some quite interesting techniques for making cuttings of difficult species.I want a bunch in the grow bed!!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've not seen any orange hues in mine in over 15 fall periods. The best was yellows. Korean Hornbeam has yellow, orange and a lot of red but it's hard to confuse the two: KH has much smaller leaves, a zig zag growth pattern and lighter bark.

Oh yes, they are quite different and almost impossible to confuse them for one another.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks!
Funny.I also have a few 1 gallon Coreana Hornbeams arriving Wednesday.I am bringing indoors and try to force some juvenile growth that may be conducive for cuttings over winter.
I need to step up my game though if I want them to root.I hear they are difficult.Even Dirr’s book on propagation stated Korean Hornbeam as difficult,but I am doing research and have learned some quite interesting techniques for making cuttings of difficult species.I want a bunch in the grow bed!!

Good luck Curtis! Please keep us updated.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
does anyone know where I can buy a pre-bonsai Korean Hornbeam?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
does anyone know where I can buy a pre-bonsai Korean Hornbeam?
Online?

I have to think that there are tons of great places in oregon to buy deciduous pre-bonsai. All though Im not sure if you are looking for specimen quality like this one or not.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I want to buy a Korean because of colors and I would like some size to it. . A lot of nursey trees of any size are in big pots with major roots and I don't know how well they root prune either.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I want to buy a Korean because of colors and I would like some size to it. . A lot of nursey trees of any size are in big pots with major roots and I don't know how well they root prune either.

Peter, maybe try Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks.

Top Bottom