European Larch #16

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There is a tremendous Thuja Occidentalis present in one of our favorite “forest hikes” that displays a similar character. (Well as similar as a Thuja COULD be :) )

The specific walk to that “area” is quite magical. You essentially “trace” the runoff channels up a steep hillside/bluff until you are surrounded by mossy rocks, ferns, puzzlegrass, a few Lonicera and THAT Thuja... visually dominating on top of the LARGEST, greenest mossy rock.

Nicely done!!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I really love the live vein crossing the dead vein. The contrast depiction in a small area really pops.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Walter,

I hope you won't get upset by my comments.

To me the dead branch on the left doesn't look coherent. It's very straight, and it couldn't have grown that way regarding the bent trunk on the right.

Also, the lower branch on the right goes "backward", to the left, it looks very artificial, as if a trick was needed to support the useless dead branch on the left.

I dare challenging the Master ! 😁

I might get a walloping, but I don't mind, this is what "I" would do, or something like that :

WP-Larix.jpg

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Walter,

I hope you won't get upset by my comments.

To me the dead branch on the left doesn't look coherent. It's very straight, and it couldn't have grown that way regarding the bent trunk on the right.

Also, the lower branch on the right goes "backward", to the left, it looks very artificial, as if a trick was needed to support the useless dead branch on the left.

I dare challenging the Master ! 😁

I might get a walloping, but I don't mind, this is what "I" would do, or something like that :

View attachment 420838
Alain, I am not upset, only surprised. As usaulyly I have thought that the result is obvious and people would see what I see. This is usuall not the case though. I think you would totally ruin the tree which in my eyes is clearly one of the best larches that I have ever styled. History will tell whether this will be the taste of tomorrow or a silly aberration of an old master.

Top Bottom