European larch

Kevalli

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I recently bought this larch and thought by now it would have lost its cones. Not sure exactly what month they shed but hopefully someone can help please?

Thank you

Kev

Attachments

• 20221213_103715.jpg
    20221213_103715.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20221213_103727.jpg
    20221213_103727.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 89

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The cones stay on until the wind blows them off. The seeds spread through the wind, so it's beneficial for the species to keep the cones until at least the last seed was blown away.
This can take a while.. Like 4 years.
The cone however doesn't sense this whatsoever, once it's mature it's abscised internally by the tree and it's on the branch while being dead.
You can manually pick them off if you want.

Nice tree by the way.

Kevalli

Seedling
Reaction score
The cones stay on until the wind blows them off. The seeds spread through the wind, so it's beneficial for the species to keep the cones until at least the last seed was blown away.
This can take a while.. Like 4 years.
The cone however doesn't sense this whatsoever, once it's mature it's abscised internally by the tree and it's on the branch while being dead.
You can manually pick them off if you want.

Nice tree by the way.
Thanks very much for your quick reply and your appreciation of the tree.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I recently bought this larch and thought by now it would have lost its cones. Not sure exactly what month they shed but hopefully someone can help please?

Thank you

Kev
The cones will stay put for several years. By the way those look more like Japanese Larch cones to me.
Be careful a passing cat doesnt knock your tree off the wall!!

Kevalli

Seedling
Reaction score
The cones will stay put for several years. By the way those look more like Japanese Larch cones to me.
Be careful a passing cat doesnt knock your tree off the wall!!
I bought the tree as a European Larch but it could well be Japanese. I put the tree on the wall just to take the photo thanks

Top Bottom