European oak #1

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Walter Pall

Walter do you do anything to preserve the deadwood / keep the tree from rotting from the inside? I know in general you advocate little/no use of wound treatment. But wouldn't a hollow deciduous tree like this just eventually rot away - after many decades - when exposed to outside elements like rain?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Amazing work Walter, how long have you been working on the tree? It has aged at least a century in appearance from the first post to your pics posted today!

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s an amazing oak. Fantastic work!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall

Walter do you do anything to preserve the deadwood / keep the tree from rotting from the inside? I know in general you advocate little/no use of wound treatment. But wouldn't a hollow deciduous tree like this just eventually rot away - after many decades - when exposed to outside elements like rain?

I do clean the desadwood from algae sometimes. Every otehr summer I put some wood hardener on the deaedwood. Trees that re hollow no NOT just rot away. The fung, bactereia and crittters norrmally do not go into live wood. We have trees in Germany which are hollow since 1000 years. So they were rotting away for 1000 years. You are believeing in a bonsai myth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom