European olive root cutting?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey nuts,

This morning I was working on repot
ting and pruning back my European olive as it was going nuts and I felt it was a good time. While repotting I removed a root about .5" thick and about 5" long. My question is if anyone knows whether olives will grow from root cuttings? I stuck it in a pot for gee wiz but would love to know if any one has done it and if they were successful.
Just so there's some pics and its not so boring lol:p
The tree20161221_063550.jpg
The root.20161221_063718.jpg
Thanks for any possible help:)

Aaron

Reaction score
Yep, she'll grow. slow, but if you can keep the fungus from getting to it, it will grow.

Reaction score
You wont see new growth for the better part of the year, the last root cutting i did went all growing season with nothing up until the last week before winter, got 1 new shoot then went dormant. Never tried it, but a horticulture professor i know once told me that adding a teaspoon of honey into 4 cups of water then watering the root cutting will accelerate new growth. Never brave enough to try it myself.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You wont see new growth for the better part of the year, the last root cutting i did went all growing season with nothing up until the last week before winter, got 1 new shoot then went dormant. Never tried it, but a horticulture professor i know once told me that adding a teaspoon of honey into 4 cups of water then watering the root cutting will accelerate new growth. Never brave enough to try it myself.
Maybe I'll give it a try, if I can remember that is lol

Aaron

Top Bottom