European olive

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey everyone, I wanted to share my new olive I got today in a trade with a friend of mine.
I've really liked the trunk on this tree since I first went to his house and have bugged him about trading for awhile.

Well the other day I finally made him an offer he couldn't refuse and I got me my olive:)

The trunk base is 7" across and the tree is currently 16" tall.
I'm not a fan of the apex so that'll be changed quickly, but here it is. 20160904_173408.jpg
The trunk20160904_173458.jpg
Oh and part of the deal was the pot he had purchased for the tree.20160904_173539.jpg
That'll be fun to squeeze in there!20160904_173546.jpg
The top will need to be cut back pretty hard but I'm debating on whether I should do it now or wait until next year.
Thanks for looking, ideas on where you think this should go are welcome aswell.

Aaron

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Interesting raw stock. What's it look like from the other side? Are the two live branches connected to the same live vein or two separate ones?

Think long and hard about whether you need to grow a new segment and/or improve he tapering transition at the top before cutting that back. I think I'd let it run for a while . . .

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interesting raw stock. What's it look like from the other side? Are the two live branches connected to the same live vein or two separate ones?

Think long and hard about whether you need to grow a new segment and/or improve he tapering transition at the top before cutting that back. I think I'd let it run for a while . . .
I'll take some pictures from all around the tree in the morning. Thanks for the advice. I can tell I need to go and really redo the carving as I think your correct that there is two living veins.

Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would see about making it a lot shorter. You could build the whole tree off the bottom branch, and make the other part deadwood. Just what I'd do, but then I can't see the other sides...

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would see about making it a lot shorter. You could build the whole tree off the bottom branch, and make the other part deadwood. Just what I'd do, but then I can't see the other sides...
That's not a bad thought, I was planning on cutting the apex WAY back to bring it more centered over the trunk instead of all the branches just swooping over the top. The bulge on the trunk below the first branch is budding profusely so I was thinking to maybe grow out a large lower branch for it.
Anyways, I'll post some pics in an hour or two when I'm done watering so we could maybe see where I could take this one.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@ColinFraser @JudyB
Here's some shots from around the tree.20160905_071636.jpg
20160905_071648.jpg 20160905_071706.jpg
There is indeed 2 living veins on this tree20160905_071721.jpg
And a bird eye view.20160905_071832.jpg
Sorry they are all blurry (gotta hate when you find a fingerprint on your lens AFTER taking pictures lol)

Aaron

Attachments

• 20160905_071658.jpg
    20160905_071658.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 9

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hm. I think I still stand with my original take on the tree with the first set of photos as front.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bad pics since it got dark but I did a little work.20160905_194759.jpg 20160905_194806.jpg I may even cut the top back a little more, I want a powerful wide canopy tree from this one.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As I said last night I cut the top back a little more and I wired the primary branch. Here's a picture from my chosen front.20160906_100712.jpg
A close up of the apex.20160906_100725.jpg
Birds eye view20160906_100805.jpg
Oops that picture is sideways lol
I still think the top could be cut a little more but I will wait and see what growth comes up there before I go any further.
I also know I'm going to cut the primary branch back very hard but I'd like for it to thicken a little more so I'll wait, then go and cut back for better taper.

Aaron

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think your on your way. I have a good idea what your going for I think, nice raw material

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one's been threw about a week of weather in the 40s so it was stowed away in the greenhouse today, it's also got tons of new growth after its recent pruning.20160930_082159.jpg
Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a quick update.
Thus tree grew about 18" since I pruned it back and today it was time to prune it again. I also got it into that fancy new Lynn August pot:D20161221_063550.jpg
7" trunk base, 8" pot, that was fun! :p
A good half inch on either side to work soil in. But GOD it looks so much better now. Boy I need to bring that low right branch down a bit huh? Lol

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And maybe tip it back toward the viewer a bit? They are growers!
Definitely my thoughts as well. I'll probably do that in late summer depending on how well this does. There's 2 very large roots that I'll need to remove to tilt it forward more.

Aaron

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I love the texture and feel of Lynn August pottery, nice high quality pots. Her ''black'' pots are outstanding, I have 4 or so of her pots. None have trees, yet.

Quite honestly, I don't really like the locations and angles the branches come off the trunk. Not sure what I would like, but if you get buds popping on the trunk, think about keeping some to eventually replace the existing branches. Just a thought, remember, I am only looking at a photo. I do think you did well with what is there, but I would look at eventually replacing all the existing branches with better placed branches if your olive was kind enough to back bud in the right places. Getting the tree to cooperate may be the issue, so nice job in terms of working with what you actually have.

It is a very impressive trunk base, and nebari. Nice.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love the texture and feel of Lynn August pottery, nice high quality pots. Her ''black'' pots are outstanding, I have 4 or so of her pots. None have trees, yet.

Quite honestly, I don't really like the locations and angles the branches come off the trunk. Not sure what I would like, but if you get buds popping on the trunk, think about keeping some to eventually replace the existing branches. Just a thought, remember, I am only looking at a photo. I do think you did well with what is there, but I would look at eventually replacing all the existing branches with better placed branches if your olive was kind enough to back bud in the right places. Getting the tree to cooperate may be the issue, so nice job in terms of working with what you actually have.

It is a very impressive trunk base, and nebari. Nice.
I know exactly what you mean, in fact on Monday I went and chopped the lowest branch back to the first branchlet. My reasons were that it would improve the taper of the branch, and I'd actually be able to wire the new one I cut back to, I also felt that the branch was just a little too much out there. I'll post a pic in a bit when the sun comes up if I can remember lol

Aaron

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Leo in N E Illinois
Here it is this morning with that low branch shortened significantly.View attachment 128076
Not sure why I put a lighter for scale:p

Aaron
You ought to wire every shoot. They're easy to wire when the shoots are young. You can remove the wire in about two months. Then cut back, let it grow back, wire again.

And when they grow out, before you wire, remove the leaves growing on the bottoms (underneath side) if the branches. That way they bud out side by side rather than down.

Top Bottom