European Spruce #69

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Two years ago I planted this spruce on the stone. Now I felt it was save to finally style the crown again. Looking at this I feel like I have done it. Only at closer inspection the quality of wiring reveals the work of my assistant Thomas Haering. Thank you Thomas - great job!1.jpg2.jpg2001-06-DSCN1068v.jpg2001-07-DSCN1089v.jpg2003-07-Dscn5785v.jpg2003-07-Magazin18-Bild19.jpg2007-07-DSC_3047V.jpg2009-05-NSC_7475ofv.jpg2013-06-R2C_2127ofw.jpg2016-09-SAL_6560w.jpg

Reaction score
Beautiful tree. What species are the little companion plants with it?

Adjusting the planting angle in the last photos really gave the trunk line even more excitement....if that's possible. This style of tree really represents to me the beauty of the mountains. I love it.

Thank you for sharing.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful tree. What species are the little companion plants with it?

Adjusting the planting angle in the last photos really gave the trunk line even more excitement....if that's possible. This style of tree really represents to me the beauty of the mountains. I love it.

Thank you for sharing.

The plants are a dward variety of Sempervivium. There arelots of sempervivium species in the Alps, where these spruce grow.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, @Walter Pall , I really like the feel of this tree. I also appreciate that the bottom of the foliage pad was not wired flat.

I wonder if you have any future plans for the longer jins. To my eye, they seem to distract from the nice texture of the deadwood and make the overall composition a little busy. I percieve that their presence is more noticable against the black background. It may be the case that their effects are different when viewed in person. But if it were my tree, I would be tempted to shorten the jins. Would you care to share your thoughts regarding this?

As always, thank you for sharing your work.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi, @Walter Pall , I really like the feel of this tree. I also appreciate that the bottom of the foliage pad was not wired flat.

I wonder if you have any future plans for the longer jins. To my eye, they seem to distract from the nice texture of the deadwood and make the overall composition a little busy. It may be the case that their effects are different when viewed in person. But if it were my tree, I would be tempted to shorten the jins. Would you care to share your thoughts regarding this?

As always, thank you for sharing your work.

I understand what you mean. I was thinking about this. I think it is a modern literati. In literati trees understatement is the rule. In modern literati just the opposite: strong impression, exaggeration is normal. One can get used to it and one day it will become the norm.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I understand what you mean. I was thinking about this. I think it is a modern literati. In literati trees understatement is the rule. In modern literati just the opposite: strong impression, exaggeration is normal. One can get used to it and one day it will become the norm.
Thank you for the response. I admit, I was thinking in terms of traditional aesthetics, but I know that is not your style. This tree does look like something one would find naturally in the Krummholz zone.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love these compositions on rock / rock pots - really captures the feel of the mountains. How long did it take to complete the shari and what tool/s did you use? And who made the pot?

Top Bottom