European Spruce #77

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is not like with broadleaved trees where I actually go over the crown and cut off everything that sticks out. On a spruce I cut a bit more carefully, but usually several twigs with one cut.

The key to hedge pruning is NOT the pruning. it is the fact that I do not pinch in spring and let the tree grow freely for a few weeks. Spruces i have not cut at all in spring and only do this now. This brings a lot more buds than if i had pinched ins spring.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think I get it, @Walter Pall. do you cut back to a bud or that doesn't matter? (and thank you for taking the time to explain your methods!)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is no way to cut back to a bud because there are no buds yet on the new hoots. Only on in the very end which I cut off anyway. Buds will appear within the next few weeks.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
European Spruce #77: Now this tree starts to look presentable. So far I am very happy with the development. Since more than ten years I have had this enormous pot by Mateusz Grobelny from Poland. This pot is so strong and impressive that I had not found a tree for it so far. It needs a very large tree which is very impressive to match. I have tried a virtual and it makes my happy. This is not real, it is wishful thinking made with Photoshop, The good news is that this will happen when the spruce repotting season starts in my garden at August 15 this year. It will work because the sizes match perfectly. I really look forward to that day and will report.
2020-07-TSC_1647ofx.jpg2020-07-TSC_1641x.jpg2020-07-TSC_1642x.jpg2020-07-TSC_1646ofx2.jpg1.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Who are you and what have you done with Walter?

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Walter, Étienne from Montréal here. Fantastic spruce, and a most interesting pot!

I hope you and Thomas have a great year, all things considered, and I hope to see you both again in Pennsylvania at some point in the future when the storm passes.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...And the next Star Wars episode will have a WP tree with locomotion roots...

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, one of the best European (Norway) Spruce i've ever seen! And it perfectly suits the pot. Even though this tree looks absolutely awesome, i really doubt about its age. In Slovenia we have the tallest Picea abies in Europe (62.5 m/204 ft Sgerm's spruce on Pohorje mountains) and the tree is around 300 years old. I see no way that your tree can be older than 100 years old, no offence.

Last edited:

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow, one of the best European (Norway) Spruce i've ever seen! And it perfectly suits the pot. Even though this tree looks absolutely awesome, i really doubt about its age. In Slovenia we have the tallest Picea abies in Europe (62.5 m/204 ft Sgerm's spruce on Pohorje mountains) and the tree is around 300 years old. I see no way that your tree can be older than 100 years old, no offence.
We have often cut apart similar trees which were dead and counted the rings. Stunted, dwarfed trees sitting in very awkward locations can beome much older than trees which are thirty times larger. 300 years possibly is an understatement. But it is not really important.

We have found trees in the Rocky Mountains which were 20 cm wide at the base, 100 cm high and had around 1,000 year rings, some much more. These were Rocky Mountain Junipers. Ponderosa pines of that caliper had 300 to 500 rings. In the Alps they do not get quite that old, but 300 year is not a rarity.

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We have often cut apart similar trees which were dead and counted the rings. Stunted, dwarfed trees sitting in very awkward locations can beome much older than trees which are thirty times larger. 300 years possibly is an understatement. But it is not really important.

We have found trees in the Rocky Mountains which were 20 cm wide at the base, 100 cm high and had around 1,000 year rings, some much more. These were Rocky Mountain Junipers. Ponderosa pines of that caliper had 300 to 500 rings. In the Alps they do not get quite that old, but 300 year is not a rarity.
Thank you for your explanation.
Off topic: It's really weird that some species can get eaten by dears and rabbits year after year, growing in a poor rocky soil, with almost no fertilizer, not enough space for roots to spread around, keeping dwarf size and in some cases they can still live longer than very tall trees that grow in best soil ...

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Trees don't die of old age, they are killed by bugs, disease, weather-related events, or some thing. The longer they live, the more opportunities for misfortune. Forests are restaurants for critters that consume trees. The fewer cousins in the locale, the fewer hosts for harmful pathogens to be nurtured in. And, the higher up the mountainside, the thinner the air making it difficult for bugs to fly, so fewer bugs, too.

Top Bottom