European Spruce #79

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Extraordinary piece of material Walter, and a fine job of styling. When did the big root come off? Is that the big hollow at the base?

The big root came off right on the mountain at collection time. The big hole was there already on the other side. And it was ugly. So I made it bigger and uglier and set fire to it. This tree does not know that a bonsai has to be beautiful, it is impressive though, but it does not impress with beauty, it impresses with wildness. It is styled in the Fairy Tale Bonsai Style. One has to get used to it. In twenty years it will be normal. it took that long for the naturalistic style.

Art has NOTHING to do with beauty - first day, first hour of art school. What a shock for me and the other students. Art has to impress. In bonsai 99.9 % try to impress with beauty. That one can impress with ugliness is a novelty - in bonsai.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is a very informative progression for me. I will be referring to it many times over the years I am sure for my spruce yamadori. Thank you for this.

How many times did you wire the tree? Twice plus guy wires?

The tree was wird for the first time seriously - fully - the day before yesterday. It has been in training only for four years.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's an awesome progression on that old tree. Just be careful with the fire. I heard of some guy setting half his tree on fire once...

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
European Spruce #79 - together with Thomas we mounted the huge old spruce onto the natural stone which was found in Germany. The tree looks thin and a bit untidy at the moment. It was very weak - going downhill since a few years, loosing branches. It had to be repotted anyway now. So we thought that we could as well mount it onto the great stone which was meant for it right away.. But certainly at the same time no other work must be done on the tree and roots should not be touched. Now the spruce will settle for a year. If it looks happy in August of 2021 all the wire will be removed and the crown will be refurbished. Then it shod l look a lot better again.

2020-08-TSC_1786x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1787x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1788x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1789x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1790x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1791x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1792x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1793x.jpg2020-08-TSC_1794ofx.jpg2020-08-TSC_1795x.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is truly an impressive tree.

Top Bottom