European White Elm/Ulmus Laevis question

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Any idea if this species can turn into a good bonsai? Or is it not worth keeping it in the pot?

I have some experience with Ulmus minor (Field elm or English elm), very suitable species for bonsai. I can find some rare pictures about Ulmus glabra bonsai as well on internet but there is absolutely nothing written/non pictures about Ulmus laevis which is a bit weird, because ulmus laevis is not that rare, most commonly found along rivers through all Europe.

I have an opportunity to dig up very mature looking European White Elm (ulmus laevis) yamadori from the nearby forest. The owner of the forest has chopped it down to about 30 -35 cm above the ground a few months ago. Some very tiny branches has appeared on the trunk since then. And i was thinking to dig it up this November and plant it into the ground, not sure if waiting until spring is a good idea, because the tree has suffered some dieback on the top and on one side of the trunk and keeping it in the forest for the next 4 months might cause even more dieback.
Anyway, before transplanting the tree, i want to hear your opinion about Ulmus Laevis: any of you have any experience with this species? Why is not as populas as ulmus minor? Or should i ask, why the species is not popular at all? Maybe it doesn't grow well in pot for some specific reasons?

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Highly likely that they would be good for bonsai. It seems that they only vary slightly from Wych Elm, which are also good. I don't know any Elm species that are not good for bonsai.

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Highly likely that they would be good for bonsai. It seems that they only vary slightly from Wych Elm, which are also good. I don't know any Elm species that are not good for bonsai.
Nice to hear that :) I will take a risk and dig it up as soon as possible.
But i am still wondering why this species is so unpopular? Is it hard to find a mature looking yamadori White Elms with good taper? In my case that's definitely the main reason: that would be my first White Elm, out of at least hundred i've found around my town, that has some characteristics (movement, nebari, mature looking bark).

Last edited:

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice to hear that :) I will take a risk and dig it up as soon as possible.
But i am still wondering why this species is so unpopular? Is it hard to find a mature looking yamadori White Elms with good taper? In my case that's definitely the main reason: that would be my first White Elm, out of at least hundred i've found around my town, that has some characteristics (movement, nebari, mature looking bark).
I don’t know why they’re not used. In the UK they’re rare. It could also be that being so similar to other Elm species, people don’t know that they have a white Elm. I doubt that the white Elm has less taper than other species. This is something found in all trees. Finding a natural tree with good taper is very unusual in young trees. In most cases it requires that a tree’s been damaged in the past for some reason. I typically look at thousands of trees before finding one suitable for bonsai. If you found one in a hundred then you’re doing well.

Top Bottom