European Yew #3

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gorgeous tree again Walter.
I Always wonder where these massive trees go I sometimes see at the Trophy. Now I know :)

What time of the year did you do the big repot? I have a few older yews here -nothing of the quality you are showing- which need some invasive rootwork, and am hesitant towards the best time of year..

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Gorgeous tree again Walter.
I Always wonder where these massive trees go I sometimes see at the Trophy. Now I know :)

What time of the year did you do the big repot? I have a few older yews here -nothing of the quality you are showing- which need some invasive rootwork, and am hesitant towards the best time of year..

I would do it from April 15 to May 15 or from August 15 to September 15

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Absolutely FANTASTIC piece of material, Walter. I can’t imagine the excitement associated with “running across” this specimen in the wild.

It will be quite interesting watching you gently/or not so “nudge” this tree in the right direction/s.

I cannot wait.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I would do it from April 15 to May 15 or from August 15 to September 15
I see at least three different pots and the original wooden box. Are some of these virtual pics? Surely it wasn't repotted that many times in 16 months right? Absolutely stunning tree!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
€600 ??(red tag) I give you €1000 and you can keep the pot 😜

you like Taxus stumps, go to a nursery that sells landscape material and i guarantee you can find stumps as big as this, you need to pull up with a truck though...

Ken windybanks in surrey had some impressive Japanese yew lumps a little while back, they may be still there...

Attachments

• 27264016738_7d71c41748_o.jpg
    27264016738_7d71c41748_o.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see at least three different pots and the original wooden box. Are some of these virtual pics? Surely it wasn't repotted that many times in 16 months right? Absolutely stunning tree!

The first good pot is a virtual. In April 2019 the yew was potted into the Chinese pot together with Thomas. Soon after, in May, a mole made the stand unstabele and the tree fell down at night - the pot broke. I had to pot it into the good container alone without help very quickly. This was not easy. The tree is extremely heavy. It did not even bliink afterwards and is very happy 15 months later. In April 2021 we will take it out and move the tree in the same pot one hour clockwise - as the last imge shows. The roots will be disturbed very little.

Such is bonsai life for me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you like Taxus stumps, go to a nursery that sells landscape material and i guarantee you can find stumps as big as this, you need to pull up with a truck though...

Ken windybanks in surrey had some impressive Japanese yew lumps a little while back, they may be still there...
Not sure, but the yew in the picture is a few sizes smaller, it seems?

Top Bottom