Evaluation of Stress on Bonsai

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe I misunderstood the idea behind the PDF, but wasn't it mostly stressing the stress effects of bonsai-related actions on the tree? Not in general?

Do you think that your bonsai will respond differently when you prune a branch vs a full sized tree whose branch gets broken in the wind?
Or if you neglect watering your bonsai vs trees that experience a drought?

Tree physiology is the same regardless of whether it is in a pot or growing in a forest.
The only real difference is the tree in the pot is at greater risk to things like drought or heat and cold due to the fact that it is in the pot, but the physiological response will be the same.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think that your bonsai will respond differently when you prune a branch vs a full sized tree whose branch gets broken in the wind?
Or if you neglect watering your bonsai vs trees that experience a drought?

Tree physiology is the same regardless of whether it is in a pot or growing in a forest.
The only real difference is the tree in the pot is at greater risk to things like drought or heat and cold due to the fact that it is in the pot, but the physiological response will be the same.
Did you look at the PDF?

Trees in pots are different from trees in the full ground. And trying to assess the stress a tree is under in a pot is different from a tree in the full ground.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you look at the PDF?

Trees in pots are different from trees in the full ground. And trying to assess the stress a tree is under in a pot is different from a tree in the full ground.
I skimmed it, and I dont find any of it new or earth shattering, sorry
Trees in pots are only different in that they are in a pot.
Their biology and physiology are still that of a tree of their species. It doesnt change because they are in a pot.

Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Their biology and physiology are still that of a tree of their species. It doesnt change because they are in a pot.

That's absolutely not the point of the PDF.
I think you didn't read it.
The stress point system for BONSAI that @bonhe has proposed is clear, concise, related to bonsai stressful practices such as repotting and wiring, and can be helpful to a lot of people.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's absolutely not the point of the PDF.
I think you didn't read it.
The stress point system for BONSAI that @bonhe has proposed is clear, concise, related to bonsai stressful practices such as repotting and wiring, and can be helpful to a lot of people.

I did read it and it is all knowledge we have all been told over and over and is common sense if you have been paying any attention at all.
We know repotting, pruning, wiring, heat, cold, too much water, not enough water all cause stress on our trees.
We know repotting causes the most amount of stress of the things we do to a tree purposely.

How many times have we been told or have told others the following:

With the exception of a few species, dont repot or do major work in the heat of summer
Dont repot and do major pruning in the same year/season
Dont do too much work to a tree in one season
Dont work a weak tree
Dont water on a schedule, water when the tree needs it
Protect the tree in cold weather, as though it was one zone lower than its stated USDA hardiness zone because its in a pot
Get the tree healthy and vigorous before doing major work
Dead trees dont make bonsai

IMO assigning points to tasks is dangerous runs the risk of someone killing their trees because they arent thinking about or really looking at the tree, they are just following a list on paper.
Like people that water every day instead of looking at the soil and learning when the tree needs water and then how to water appropriately.
Looking at a list and saying well these two things added up dont represent a high risk, but the person doesnt know enough to recognize the tree is already weak and does it anyway and the tree dies.

We need to actually look at our trees and learn when to recognize when there is a problem, not look at a list of stress scores on piece of paper.
That means actually looking at them every day, learning about them and thinking about them on an individual basis.
No list of scores on a piece of paper should ever replace your brain

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did read it and it is all knowledge we have all been told over and over and is common sense if you have been paying any attention at all.

And yet..

There are quite a few of people contacted me to ask how I could grow bonsai successfully in my hot and dry climate. I decide to write a small thesis with tittle "Evaluation of Stress on Bonsai".

4Maybe get off your high horse and just accept that not all are growing such amazing trees as you (Do you actually have trees? I do not remember you actually ever sharing anything, beside telling other people off).

I for one think it is nice if people go out of their way to try an summarize their knowledge in a short succint manual. Very usefull for people new or uncertain.

-- I am out; Your negativity is not worth my energy --

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And yet..

4Maybe get off your high horse and just accept that not all are growing such amazing trees as you (Do you actually have trees? I do not remember you actually ever sharing anything, beside telling other people off).

I for one think it is nice if people go out of their way to try an summarize their knowledge in a short succint manual. Very usefull for people new or uncertain.

-- I am out; Your negativity is not worth my energy --

Yes I have trees, but I'm not taking your bait. There are plenty posted here, but I dont have to prove myself to you or anyone else.
This isn't about who has trees and who doesn't and its just a petty question to ask.

All I am saying is people need to use their damn brain and THINK about what they are doing not follow a list like a robot.
But I guess the human brain isn't capable of that any more in too many cases.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes I have trees, but I'm not taking your bait. There are plenty posted here, but I dont have to prove myself to you or anyone else.
This isn't about who has trees and who doesn't and its just a petty question to ask.

All I am saying is people need to use their damn brain and THINK about what they are doing not follow a list like a robot.
But I guess the human brain isn't capable of that any more in too many cases.

But if it was all that easy then some of us wouldnt need to seek the expertise of a teacher/mentor/master;)
sorry i couldnt resist.:p

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But if it was all that easy then some of us wouldnt need to seek the expertise of a teacher/mentor/master;)
sorry i couldnt resist.:p
Thanks BobbyLane. You are absolutely right.
I have been teaching students and residents for years and I completely understand what you said. Someone have very good knowledge but can not apply it to the practice and vice versa. In my thesis, I used two true examples to emphasize this fact. :)
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just updated this topic a little more information. You will see the links to access to Bonhe Risk level and Preoperative Risk Stratification for bonsai calculators. They was formatted in Google Sheets. I think it is very nice if it can be done as l as the app but I don't know how to do! Please ask questions if you have. Thanks.
Thụ Thoại

Attachments

• stress modified.pdf
    457.3 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom