Ever make a "tree dip?"

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I discovered some spider mites on a VERY dense small juniper today.

I got a bucket deeper than the tree is tall and filled it to the brim.
Mixed in a solution of Safer soap.
Covered the soil with aluminum foil and holding the soil in with the tree upside down .....DIPPED.... the whole tree in the solution.
NOT the soil.

I'll bet it works.

Hide on the UNDERSIDE of foliage, willya? :cool::p

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've seen blog posts of people doing this in Japan with mini/shohin, but mostly applying fungicide (e.g., dilute lime sulfur for winter protection).

Spraying with NEEM controls spider mites, white flies, and scale for me - just spray up from under and then until it is running off from the sides and above. You don't need to protect the soil - let the NEEM run-off soak in, I was just reading about how it is effective against root aphids and that NEEM will get adsorbed into the tree and will work systemically.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I used up my Neem and just tried this. Didn't know Neem was ok in the soil. Planned to get more tomorrow anyhow.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes,whole tree,mites cant survive under water to long,but i bet the eggs can,so you would need to do it again in a few days

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have fully sub!edged small trees in just water for 20 minut es. I guess it worked?.. No pests so... But I wasn't smart enough to secure the soil

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Ever hear of a phyto? That's a dip. ;) Very common. Here in Florida if we see a new crepe myrtle with aphids, dip then systemic.

Top Bottom