Ever seen scale growth on a procumbens?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jezzuz! What does it take?? Do I have to hold your hand though every point? It's like trying to reason with wombat.
I never said this post and there is nothing about the pictures that I don't believe. It's obviously a juniper with both scale and needle foliage which you and others say is procumbens. You have shown it before. It doesn't change anything. My procumbens does not, never has and never will have scale foliage. I posted some ideas as to why that may be. It has been root bound and starved but does not produce scale foliage. I have never seen procumbens produce scale foliage in this country. There are 2 possibilities. 1, procumbens does not have scale foliage as the botanists say it doesn't and you have something else which you think is the real procumbens, or 2, Some do and some don't.
If someone tells you it is procumbens, that is not proof it is. The same goes for me. Botanically speaking, my example of this species matches better than yours until you come up with a botanical description which disagrees.
END!
The thing is, there are so many factors that might have something to do with it. Perhaps your climate is too dry, or your soil too acid, or your altitude too high... who knows? Not all the Procumbens junipers here go scale, most do not. That field of junipers has a high percentage that do go scale. But, once someone starts to work on one of them, it will revert to the needle form, and pretty much stay there.

These all originated from a Florida grower. Maybe he has a special strain??? I would perhaps think that could be the case, but for the fact I have met people from all over the US who also have encountered Procumbens with scale foliage.

One thing I have learn led is to never say “never”! Lol. Mother Nature has a way to make fools of us all.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dang, this post blew up! Backstory time!

The Juniper in the original post was one of my first purchases from an actual bonsai nursery in December of 2017. Guy gave it to me for $15 and it was in a nursery pot with another Juniper trunk. I separated them out in the Spring of 2018 and the other trunk died (because it was much better looking, I think) and this one lived in that bulb pot. Its potted up with Bonsai Jack universal bonsai soil and it has been in that pot since spring 2017. It has had regular pruning and wiring, but this past spring I got brave and really took it down and wired it out. This scale growth pictured has grown in since Spring of this year. Its also on one or two sections of the tree, the rest is the typical procumbans spiky growth.

Thanks to everyone chiming in - hate that some fights started up as this was more of a "Wow, cool, do they do that?" post. However, I am as confused about it now as I was before. I'm going to side with @Adair M though, because he lives in my climate and I like his trees! :D

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
THIS LOOKS SHOPPED / I CAN TELL FROM SOME OF THE PIXELS AND FROM SEEING QUITE A FEW SHOPS IN MY TIME.
“Shopped”, as in “edited with Photoshop”? Dude, you’re on some mind altering substance! I don’t even know how that’s done! Lol!!! I took these photos with my new iPhone 11 Max. And I uploaded straight from my phone to BNut.

But, hey, if you want to believe the Earth is flat...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
“Shopped”, as in “edited with Photoshop”? Dude, you’re on some mind altering substance! I don’t even know how that’s done! Lol!!! I took these photos with my new iPhone 11 Max. And I uploaded straight from my phone to BNut.

I assumed he was being sarcastic, but perhaps that was a faulty assumption!

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score

I'm in N.Fla and all of mine in my garden have scale and all go more so the longer they are in container culture. I guess pictures are pointless. I can't believe I even weighed in ... sigh.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in N.Fla and all of mine in my garden have scale and all go more so the longer they are in container culture. I guess pictures are pointless. I can't believe I even weighed in ... sigh.
For sure, you have a blaauws juniper ;)

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is an almost brilliant suggestion. If only you would have read that 4 pages ago before you started cursing the whole world.

Maybe stop shouting, start reading and thinking. Think you can do that for a change?
I stumbled across this thread a few days ago. I haven't been on bonsai nut for months. The first thing I read was MichaelS doesn't know what he's talking about. If someone is going to claim that, they need to back it up with evidence. I have yet to see it.
As for the reading and thinking, right back at you dude.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sir, this is a meme.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Sir, this is a meme.

At least somebody understands me. lol.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

At least somebody understands me. lol.
Oh. Some kind of joke? Ok...

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The first thing I read was MichaelS doesn't know what he's talking about. If someone is going to claim that, they need to back it up with evidence. I have yet to see it.
Huh? Those pics by some folks are not Procumbens?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I mean until recently. I pride myself in not lying. I may have been mistaken, but be careful with your words.
Going back to your post on: According to what botanists say (your 1. in post #78), Juniperus procunbans ‘nana’ does not ever produce scale foliage....what’s the difference in devising some notion based on some nugget you hen picked from “science” (no citation) and lying, and claiming to accurately paraphrase or represent any knowledge of the science or botanist(s) you claim?

Butter your roll with what you want to believe homie, but as of yet, you better be careful with how you misconstrue “science”, or better yet, back it up with legitimate paraphrasing or quotes from scientific articles directly in tandem to what any authors were conveying. Otherwise, you are worse than a liar.

You can not take people’s words (scientists +) and bend them to what you want to believe...well actually you can. I believe that it would be better if you saved your form of citation for more nauanced writing otherwise.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
(no citation)

You really do walk into it don't you.
Is the American conifer society good enough for you? I have others somewhere but I'm not going searching for you as I did that already a couple of years back.....homie

Top Bottom