Ever seen scale growth on a procumbens?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I noticed on of my procumbens has started putting out some chinesis style scale growth. This just a small mutation? Never seen it before.

IMG_20191020_145818.jpg

IMG_20191020_145835.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes I have, and I assume it is the same as a scale juniper throwing juvenile needle foliage when pruned hard
or otherwise stressed. Same juvenile response is what I always thought.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Right on. Thought it was interesting, this guy was cut back pretty hard earlier this year but has been growing well since.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're interested, @MichaelS had University Studies showing the difference between Procumbins and San Jose, one which gets scale foliage and one which doesn't, which was heavily argued by some.

May be able to search it.

Sorce

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I second @Adair M - I've seen a few examples of well developed procumbens with scale foliage. One particularly nice one was for sale at the ATL club auction this year.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second @Adair M - I've seen a few examples of well developed procumbens with scale foliage. One particularly nice one was for sale at the ATL club auction this year.
I think that was one of Dudley Duggar’s trees. I helped get the price up, if I remember correctly.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think that was one of Dudley Duggar’s trees. I helped get the price up, if I remember correctly.

Yessir. I was tempted by another procumbens he was selling when I visited his garden a few weeks before the auction. I was on a pot buying spree so I sadly had to pass.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My very first bonsai was a gifted procumbens (about 14 years ago and lived about 1.5 months) and it came to me with mostly scale foliage.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bullshit.
Well, Michael, you can believe what you want. I, however, have seen dozens, actually, more like hundreds of procumbens with scale foliage. They’re in the same nursery pots for 20 years. The trees themselves are 30 to 35 years old. Some are 100% scale. As soon as they get repotted, they revert back to juvenile. Plant City Bonsai in Clermont, GA has dozens of them.

Oh, I know you’ll say they’re not procumbens, they’re San Jose. Not so. San Jose has a larger leaf.

I’m going there Saturday. I’ll take a few pictures.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, Michael, you can believe what you want. I, however, have seen dozens, actually, more like hundreds of procumbens with scale foliage. They’re in the same nursery pots for 20 years. The trees themselves are 30 to 35 years old. Some are 100% scale. As soon as they get repotted, they revert back to juvenile. Plant City Bonsai in Clermont, GA has dozens of them.

Oh, I know you’ll say they’re not procumbens, they’re San Jose. Not so. San Jose has a larger leaf.

I’m going there Saturday. I’ll take a few pictures.

I can attest to this as well. When I first saw the "sea of junipers" at Plant City Bonsai, I thought they were shimpaku junipers because they all pretty much had scale foliage. They've all been in their nursery pots for a very long time as you can pull them right out of their pots without them losing an ounce of soil. I'm not sure why it's so unbelievable that procumbens can have scale foliage when there's evidence everywhere.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, Michael, you can believe what you want. I, however, have seen dozens, actually, more like hundreds of procumbens with scale foliage. They’re in the same nursery pots for 20 years. The trees themselves are 30 to 35 years old. Some are 100% scale. As soon as they get repotted, they revert back to juvenile.
So, does that mean when they go scale they are in an unhealthy state and need repotted? Or are they ok to go root bound for a while. I'm curious because I like procumbens but hate that needle foliage. It's what keeps me from trying them.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah my procumbens does the same, some juvenile but now patches of scales
always thought it was it maturing or something.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, does that mean when they go scale they are in an unhealthy state and need repotted? Or are they ok to go root bound for a while. I'm curious because I like procumbens but hate that needle foliage. It's what keeps me from trying them.
It’s a combination of age and being pot bound. Juvenile foliage is the fastest way for the tree to produce solar panels. But, when the tree has “matured”, and doesn’t have new soil to populate, it will settle down to “maintenance” mode, and produce scale foliage that doesn’t require as much resources to sustain.

Fertilizing heavy or repotting will trigger growth, and the tree (shrub, actually) will revert to juvenile growth.

I wouldn’t say that scale foliage procumbens are “unhealthy”, I’ve seen them exist at Plant City for a decade. They prefer to be actively growing, though, with juvenile foliage.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’s a combination of age and being pot bound. Juvenile foliage is the fastest way for the tree to produce solar panels. But, when the tree has “matured”, and doesn’t have new soil to populate, it will settle down to “maintenance” mode, and produce scale foliage that doesn’t require as much resources to sustain.

Fertilizing heavy or repotting will trigger growth, and the tree (shrub, actually) will revert to juvenile growth.

I wouldn’t say that scale foliage procumbens are “unhealthy”, I’ve seen them exist at Plant City for a decade. They prefer to be actively growing, though, with juvenile foliage.
Thanks @Adair M.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In Chile all Procumbens have juvenile foliage.
I have never seen mature foliage on them. But there is always different varieties or mislabeled plants

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I live in Spain, In our forum we had the same discussion about the Sonare so its an international theme haha. Some people argue that real sonare will have only needles other the same as here that their procumbens mixes needles and scales. So what we can learn? no much, maybe different clones or species or bad nomenclature in the nurserys as said before

Juniperus procumbens, japanese page: only talks about needle foliage

Juniperus procumbens, japanese page: talks about scale and needle foliage

Top Bottom