Ever Tried Weights on Branches?

barguy8194

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m curious... for something like spruce, or other species that love to curve their branches upwards and may require multiple wirings to set the branches... has anyone ever tried hanging weights? As in, possibly a strip of leather with strings hanging off each end and a weight suspended from the strings, almost like a parachute?

Also seems to me that it may naturally create a natural downwards bend over time.

No idea if it’s a valid thought, but figured I would put it out there! Please discuss!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye, there are better ways if possible, but if not possible, or practical in the moment...

I cut a boxwood leaf the other day to accommodate another like a burger king crown goes together to hold a branch.

Many things do the job.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hanging weights in the wind are a recipe for broken branches. Things can get windy around here.
I have used guy wires connected to rocks, but a while later I just attached them to a wire loop around the pot. If you move the pot and the rock drops the branch drops with it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
All good points on why it’s not a good idea. Also think about the shape weights will produce. Best to use wire and guy wires to get the most natural-looking bends. Good bends start right at the trunk, and are concave to the trunk:
A6FA5120-A8B7-43FB-8963-A514EA997783.jpeg

Top Bottom