Ever wonder where your Kotobuki Yatsufusa came from?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here it is - the single mother tree. All Kotobuki came from grafts of the mutated foliage on the upper part of this single tree. Pretty amazing isn't it?

kotobuki_yatsufusa.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks bnut that is very interesting. Are there any articles to read pertaining to this?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks bnut that is very interesting. Are there any articles to read pertaining to this?

It is from an interesting site in Japan called "Bonsai World". It looked like it was going to be an amazing site when it started up last December, but the site never went anywhere and there have been no updates since April of this year. The quality of the content is high, but it is far too short. Every short article leaves you asking for more. I'm pretty sure we posted links to the site last year....

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Think that's amazingz? The Irish yew in your front yard is probably a clone of a single tree in Ireland...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florencecourt_Yew

I know all Harry Lauder's Walking Sticks (contorted filbert) came from a single mutated plant growing in a hedge in the UK. Truly someone saw it in a hedge and pulled it out :)

harrylauder.jpg

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I will one-up you: every single pink grapefruit on the planet came from a clone. This is not as unusual as you might think. Desireable characteristics combined with easy propagation results in the rapid distribution of plants with desirable traits.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will one-up you: every single pink grapefruit on the planet came from a clone. This is not as unusual as you might think. Desireable characteristics combined with easy propagation results in the rapid distribution of plants with desirable traits.

yeah not sure why people often find this to be strange..... its pretty common in horticulture .... it is sometimes however interesting to realize some things we never thought were anomalies turn out to be.... and their survival is souly due to man's intervention..... weird

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
By the way, I made an error in the title of this thread. The correct nomenclature is "yatsufusa kotobuki". Kotobuki came from yatsufusa. I have both varieties and they are very dissimilar :)

Top Bottom