Evergreen cotoneaster wintering

Nj6964

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a cotoneaster salicifolius “willow leaf” that I’ve read to be an evergreen variety. It’s hanging onto most of its leaves with the cold weather and snow we’re having. I live in northeast NJ zone 7 and am not sure whether to overwinter it in an unheated garage or outside with the pot covered in mulch. I’ve heard the evergreen cotoneaster may be less tolerant of winter than the deciduous. Anyone have any experience with this?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In the ground, it is said to be very hardy (-25°c, -13°F).

When potted, it must be less hardy though. It depends how many days the the temps go below -15C, 5F in a row.

From https://landscapeplants.oregonstate.edu/plants/cotoneaster-salicifolius :

"Hardy to USDA Zone 6"

Since you're in USDA Zone 7, make your own conclusion, but I would use mulching outside: I find trees that can be kept outside are healthier, esp. in the long term.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's evergreen or semi-deciduous by the definition. This site is very helpful and I use it often when considering a new species. You should be theoretically OK mulching it outside for a winter, but it's only you who knows your specific climate, its extremes. So far I've been more than successful to get trees over winter this way and the USDA zoning says it's on the brink... That's why I think you're OK.

Nj6964

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks everyone. Seems like the consensus is that it should be OK outside and probably better off in the long run. Ideally I’d rather not have any trees that I can overwinter outdoors anyway. I’ll let you know how it goes in the spring. Thanks!

Top Bottom