evergreen design doubt and taper

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I come here with my Malpighia glabra because I am a beginner in bonsai and I wanted to choose some style for this plant which I have found very difficult to define a style for it because I am also very indecisive.
20210327_084051.jpg

20210328_165505.jpg

20210328_170606.jpg

20210327_084351.jpg

Another question I have here is about the front of it. Which one should I choose? Should I make a diagonal cut on the marked part of the trunk? Or can I just turn to the other side that hides the cut and define it as the front? How do I thicken the base of the trunk. My idea with this cut was to make the bonsai more conical.

What do you think? What should I do next

I hope you can help me with that.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm also a beginner, but when I see your tree I imagine it in han-kengai.

I would cut the top part (because the trunk is thick and cylindric) and strart with the rest changing the angle.

Cheers20210331_141525.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Toes!

Have we seen this before?

Seems a long project in desperate need of more rooms to grow it's own toes!

That virt is possible 👆.

No matter what most of the top will have to come off.

It does seem the best path is through that first branch. Gotta fix them transitions.

Sorce

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm also a beginner, but when I see your tree I imagine it in han-kengai.

I would cut the top part (because the trunk is thick and cylindric) and strart with the rest changing the angle.

CheersView attachment 364717
wow!! that looks pretty good!! I really like it!!!! I'll definitively think about that project. I like a lot. do you know what is the best season to do this pruning? since it is a big cut. Here in Brazil we're entering the fall.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
I would personnally go for the han-kengai style.
About the cutting I would say just before the growing season. I hope someone can confirm this.

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Toes!

Have we seen this before?

Seems a long project in desperate need of more rooms to grow it's own toes!

That virt is possible 👆.

No matter what most of the top will have to come off.

It does seem the best path is through that first branch. Gotta fix them transitions.

Sorce
Yes! It's my first bonsai project I got so it's like my baby.

I've posted a picture and doubts about her here before. And I remember you having already answered some of my questions.

thanks for the suggestions!!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The diagonal line you have marked will do a lot to eliminate the current blunt top and give some semblance of taper, even if it does remove a chunk of foliage.
I think the reason you are having problems deciding is that there is so little to work with. Nothing to really define a front or back. That just means you have more options. I would be inclined to let this one grow a bit to see if anything develops with growth and time.

There is little that can be done to increase thickness of lower trunk. Having plenty of strong lateral roots is the best option but even that will take many years to have an effect.

The tree looks like it was recently transplanted and chopped? Always allow trees plenty of time to recover before attempting further styling. If it still needs to be tied into the pot it probably won't survive more work.

Nothing against the virts above but it is far easier to draw something than to actually make it with the actual tree. Semi cascade is a style that looks quite simple but can be frustratingly difficult to achieve.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Nothing against the virts above but it is far easier to draw something than to actually make it with the actual tree. Semi cascade is a style that looks quite simple but can be frustratingly difficult to achieve.
Of course it is easier to draw something than doing it. But he asked for suggestions.

And of course semi cascades are not easy, branches tend to grow up. I'm a beginner too and it won't stop me trying to style one of my trees in semi cascade.
Isn't it all about patience and commitment?
I know I will try and fail and try again. But I don't find rewarding taking always the easy path. After all, if I want to learn, I have to try.

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
The diagonal line you have marked will do a lot to eliminate the current blunt top and give some semblance of taper, even if it does remove a chunk of foliage.
I think the reason you are having problems deciding is that there is so little to work with. Nothing to really define a front or back. That just means you have more options. I would be inclined to let this one grow a bit to see if anything develops with growth and time.

There is little that can be done to increase thickness of lower trunk. Having plenty of strong lateral roots is the best option but even that will take many years to have an effect.

The tree looks like it was recently transplanted and chopped? Always allow trees plenty of time to recover before attempting further styling. If it still needs to be tied into the pot it probably won't survive more work.

oh I understand.

I have difficulty with impatience but I will wait for it to develop more.

thanks!

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
o
oh I understand.

I have difficulty with impatience but I will wait for it to develop more.

thanks!
one thing that helped with my patience is, get more trees! The more project I have to work with and keep things alive the faster time flies and the "faster" you can work on your projects

Top Bottom